• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Rail money spent wisely?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daccer

Whilst pondering the current investment scenario and the state of the network I did wonder whether we were falling into the trap that seems tio afflict our Gallic brothers across the Channel. In France there seems to be a determination to push through glamorous mega projects, mainly TGV extensions, whilst the route and branch network deteriorates through a lack of investment.

At the moment we seem to be inundated with mega projects here in the UK. Crossrail, Thameslink, GW electrification, HS2, New St rebuild are all headline grabbing schemes but does it mean that other just as worthy but maybe less glamorous schemes fall by the wayside as the money is spent elsewhere.

It is probably somethign do with the fact that our railways are effectively run by the politicians and as we all know that is one group of people who love publicity. There is not much media coverage in upgrading a rural station or reopening a branch line somewhere. Compare that to the mass tunrout of the great and the good for the electrification announcement recently! So what i want to know is do we spend our money wisely or is the networks long term future being mortgaged for a few headlines now by a desperate Government.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I dont think "less glamorous" or smaller schemes are falling by the way side in favour of bigger schemes, its just they are not reported on as much.

Network Rail as just finished a £104m project round here replacing life expired equipment. Not big national news by any means but it is still a sizable chunk of cash.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think the "less glamorous" schemes have indeed been falling by the wayside. Scotland's line re-openings have illustrated in glorious technicolour precisely what should have been happening during the boom years in England whilst Mr Blair procrastinated. Now we are in bust and the window of opportunity won't reappear for some time.

Old Timer

Established Member
Is Rail Money Spent Wisely ?

An interesting question indeed.

It does of course depend upon how you decide to value "wisely".

Certain organisations relate "wisely" with "Cheap", although as pretty much anyone with a brain will immediately recognise cheap is completely at odds with quality and long life.

The only other organisation to use the phrase, "faster, better, cheaper", was NASA and we all know what happened as a result.

I know of one European company where there is an amazing amount of money that is just wasted by poor management, poor tendering, poor and inadequate tendering documentation that does not reflect the true work, poor supplier selection, "man marking" experienced Engineers by junior or less qualified and experienced staff, the failure to attract and retain the best engineers and managers through poor terms and conditions, and low pay, and an adversarial project management approach to its Contractors. That taken together with poor quality design and a "cheapest is best" contract award process that results in the least able winning Contracts has resulted in enormous overspends on facilities that are ultimately either not properly completed or are of poor value.

Contrast that with their next door neighbour who behaves much differently and works with, rather than against, its Contractors, who pays salaries to attract the best engineers and managers, and who exercises the minimum of interference with project delivery. This organisation delivered a three underbridge blockade in an 81 hour blockade over three sites, and handed back a fully completed job early.

Now of course neither scenarios apply to the UK do they ?

Ticket Man

I think the bidding system should be re-thought for a start. hell of a lot of money disappears paying for a franchise as nat express found out on the ECML. This system ensures that companies will spend most of there money on paying to exsist rather than spending it on investment. as for nitwit rail well, i dont think they could manage their finances any better than railtrack could

Status
Not open for further replies.