• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the lockdown causing a increase in accidents at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

Is it possible that this lockdown situation is causing more accidents particularly house fires? That is twice in one week I’ve seen the firefighters been called out to my street and before the lockdown I’ve never seen a fire engine in my street. I’ve also noticed more home safety adverts on TV

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Is it possible that this lockdown situation is causing more accidents particularly house fires? That is twice in one week I’ve seen the firefighters been called out to my street and before the lockdown I’ve never seen a fire engine in my street. I’ve also noticed more home safety adverts on TV
It's possible. Assuming that ordinarily you don't need to spend all day every day at home, it may be that you're just in a position to notice it more now.

AM9

Veteran Member
That might be that members of the household are unsing cooking facilities that they haven't been before. In addition, it's possible that the longer some people are in their own homes, the more time there is for them to cause a fire by accident. There's not much that can be done about that as a large number of domestic premises would fail even the most basic fire brigade inspection, wheras all commercial premises are required to meet specific fire standards.

matt_world2004

Established Member
The risk of increased accidents in the home have probably bee more than offset by the decrease in road traffic accidents

thejuggler

Heart was in my mouth today when I saw a neighbour, who must be knocking 70, gingerly climbing a ladder which was resting against the plastic guttering he was cleaning out.

I am sure that wasn't urgent.

Kite159

Veteran Member
There is probably an increase in DIY /gardening related accidents, solely due to an increase of DIY/gardening activities, especially with the good weather recently with folk stuck at home rather than being out and about, doing the odd jobs around the house they have been meaning to do in years.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is probably an increase in DIY /gardening related accidents, solely due to an increase of DIY/gardening activities, especially with the good weather recently with folk stuck at home rather than being out and about, doing the odd jobs around the house they have been meaning to do in years.
I wedged a flake of old paint under my fingernail yesterday and it really hurt (sniff).
Luckily I didn’t have to burden the NHS with my predicament, but I bet there’s plenty of people ending up in A&E at the moment that have picked up a drill for the first time (possibly by the wrong end)...

bramling

Veteran Member
The risk of increased accidents in the home have probably bee more than offset by the decrease in road traffic accidents

Yes for example round here there’s normally a serious accident on the A1(M) at least once a week, sometimes more. Apart from something last week there’s been none of that to my knowledge.

Must say I’ve been enjoying the empty roads and trains for journeys to and from work. A reminder of how pleasant things could be if we had a lower population density.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
From stories I've heard, alcohol consumption in the home has increased during the lockdown. This is because pubs/restaurants/bars are closed but I believe many people are simply drinking more to cope with the boredom & mild depression of being coop up indoors, some who have the stresses of young children to look after. As I've commented in another post - domestic violence has surged during the lockdown, again probably not helped by excessive drinking. All of this will cause accidents (some deliberate and some not) as people's behaviour becomes more reckless, particularly if they are intoxicated.

CJ

hooverboy

On Moderation
From stories I've heard, alcohol consumption in the home has increased during the lockdown. This is because pubs/restaurants/bars are closed but I believe many people are simply drinking more to cope with the boredom & mild depression of being coop up indoors, some who have the stresses of young children to look after. As I've commented in another post - domestic violence has surged during the lockdown, again probably not helped by excessive drinking. All of this will cause accidents (some deliberate and some not) as people's behaviour becomes more reckless, particularly if they are intoxicated.

CJ
doesn't surpise me in the slightest.
In the case you highlight it's also quite possible that these scenarios will get worse as the frustration and boredom really set in.
People will get more and more stressed out,and people will slowly and surely start drining earlier/more. You may well see a spike in alcoholism the longer this stays in place.

As for the DIY injuries, funnily enough they may well decrease after a few weeks once all the household maintenance projects are concluded!

AM9

Veteran Member
In the case you highlight it's also quite possible that these scenarios will get worse as the frustration and boredom really set in.
People will get more and more stressed out,and people will slowly and surely start drining earlier/more. You may well see a spike in alcoholism the longer this stays in place.

As for the DIY injuries, funnily enough they may well decrease after a few weeks once all the household maintenance projects are concluded!
... and they learn how to use sharp tools properly.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Until they decide to do a new DIY project to give them something to do

Status
Not open for further replies.