• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the ride smoother towards the centre of the carriage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Smith

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but is the ride smoother if one is towards the centre of the carriage (as opposed to at the ends) ? I`m inclined to think it should be.
I was pondering this as I tried to sleep, which I did reasonably well, on the sleeper.
We like the sleepers and have been on them a few times. The only criticism we have is they don't let you fold the upper berth up when not in use, they do let the passenger do this on the ones we`ve been on abroad. The problem is that neither me nor my wife can sit up straight on the bottom berth due to the top berth being too low and in the way !

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Sounds like it went up the Waterloos. Wouldn't know where it went after that though!

Old Timer

Established Member
There will always be a slightly more lively ride over the bogies as together with the vehicle suspension, they are the dynamic interface between the track and the vehicle.

That said modern suspension systems have much reduced the differences, which should not be really discernible to the average traveller.

rail-britain

Established Member
In the sleepers, it is more about noise
When travelling over the bogies there is slightly more noise
The disadvantage when travelling in the middle of a sleeper coach is there is slightly more lateral movement, which because you are lying in that direction you may notice if trying to sleep as the train passes over curves at higher speeds

When in DMUs, there is virtually no difference as most are now all powered
However in sets with trailers, that coach is often buffeted about

When in EMUs, there is quite a difference
In motorised coaches (traction motors fitted) these is usually less forgiving and rougher
The pantograph / rectifier coach is often very smooth, due to the additional weight
However, in modern EMUs, these often have an integrated pantograph and motor coach, I try to avoid this wherever possible as the ride can be extremely rough; compared to the other trailers

route:oxford

Established Member
We like the sleepers and have been on them a few times. The only criticism we have is they don't let you fold the upper berth up when not in use, they do let the passenger do this on the ones we've been on abroad. The problem is that neither me nor my wife can sit up straight on the bottom berth due to the top berth being too low and in the way !

Are you and your lover both squeezing into the lower bunk together? You must be dinky.

I've only done the sleeper a few times, but found that the bunks were quite compact and only just big enough for me (but I am 6'2"). Certainly any of the more "vigorous" activities with a partner would have to be undertaken in the standing position...

rail-britain

Established Member
found that the bunks were quite compact and only just big enough for me (but I am 6'2")
I am also 6'2" but in my experience anyone taller than 6'6" can struggle
The only solution is to lie on your side with your knees bent
However, passengers often report travel sickness when they do this!
I once had such a passenger (6'9" from memory) and I demonstrated how to sleep more comfortably
He appeared in the lounge car at about Lancaster, "great sleep, that was much better, however the train seems to be really bumpy"...
Advised him to wait until we reached Preston then go back

Justin Smith

I am also 6'2" but in my experience anyone taller than 6'6" can struggle
The only solution is to lie on your side with your knees bent
However, passengers often report travel sickness when they do this!
I once had such a passenger (6'9" from memory) and I demonstrated how to sleep more comfortably
He appeared in the lounge car at about Lancaster, "great sleep, that was much better, however the train seems to be really bumpy"...
Advised him to wait until we reached Preston then go back

I`m 6ft and fit in fine so I`ve no complaints myself about the length of the bunks, somewhat ironic that, in view of my strong comments on another thread about the appalling shortage of room on many refurbished coaches, esp the XC ones....
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Are you and your lover both squeezing into the lower bunk together? You must be dinky.

I've only done the sleeper a few times, but found that the bunks were quite compact and only just big enough for me (but I am 6'2"). Certainly any of the more "vigorous" activities with a partner would have to be undertaken in the standing position...

A bit of a breakdown in communication here I feel, I mean there`s no room when sat on the lower berth, e.g. when eating breakfast. On the subject of the latter it seemed rather better than it used to be !
There will always be a slightly more lively ride over the bogies as together with the vehicle suspension, they are the dynamic interface between the track and the vehicle.

That said modern suspension systems have much reduced the differences, which should not be really discernible to the average traveller.

Surely if there`s a bump in the track, the coach will pivot around the bogie at the other end of the carriage. Thus the vertical movement at the mid point will only be half that at the ends ?

I remember the 'interesting' ride quality of the 317s in late '80s early '90s, I gather there was air suspension which seemed rather lacking, hence rather clunky bottoming out & pogo effect. I've not been on a 317 since then, was this sorted years ago?

Justin Smith

I'm 6ft and fit in fine so I've no complaints myself about the length of the bunks, somewhat ironic that, in view of my strong comments on another thread about the appalling shortage of room on many refurbished coaches, esp the XC ones....

A bit of a breakdown in communication here I feel, I mean there's no room when sat on the lower berth, e.g. when eating breakfast. On the subject of the latter it seemed rather better than it used to be !

Surely if there's a bump in the track, the coach will pivot around the bogie at the other end of the carriage. Thus the vertical movement at the mid point will only be half that at the ends ?

Actually, having thought about it, in the middle of the coach you`d get all the bumps twice but at half amplitude, at the end of the coach you`d get them once but at full amplitude ? Or is that too simplistic ?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have to admit that whenever possible I try to ride at the end of the carriage; I am one of those who enjoys a more lively ride - in particular with a class 323 on the fast Crewe - Manchester diagrams I try to get the seat at the very back of the carriage ( ie sitting outboard of the bogie mount )...:D

AeroSpace

Surely if there's a bump in the track, the coach will pivot around the bogie at the other end of the carriage. Thus the vertical movement at the mid point will only be half that at the ends ?

Less than half, because the other end of the coach will move oppositely.

moonrakerz

On my local 158/159s, I usually try and sit towards the ends because there seems to be a bit less engine noise/vibration there.
On an HST I try and sit in the middle as there is less noise/draught when the end of coach doors are opened - as people seem to be incapable of shutting the windows there !

Haven't noticed that much difference in the ride anywhere - unless you are at the very front or rear of the train on non-welded track - when it just goes "clack-clack" instead of "clickety-clack" !! :lol::lol:

I assume Pacers are exempt from this discussion.............

Status
Not open for further replies.