• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the SNCF Connect site exhaustive?

SandsofEss

I need to get from Nimes Centre to Marseille airport on 6th May, arriving by 12:30.

There are normally direct trains on this route, but I can only find them early in the morning and later in the afternoon on the SNCF Connect website.

Do direct trains not exist on this route in the middle of the day? Is it because it's a bank holiday? Or is the SNCF website incomplete?

I have the option to book the coach, but it'd be a shame not to take the train if I can.

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

k-c-p

Maybe this is related. In the Fiche Horaire section of the TER PACA website, there is "Travaux Intercités Marseille - Bordeaux du mardi 7 mai au dimanche 12 mai 2024" schedule listed for them Marseille-Nimes-Montpellier line. It shows some trains being replaced by buses.

The TER Occitanie site announces works on the Narbonne-Montpellier-Toulouse section from May 8th. Details on running services will be avaialble from May 3rd (no kidding):
Dès le vendredi 3 mai, le programme détaillé sera disponible sur le site.
Maybe this affects services in the 6th already. Information is not the SNCF strong suite. The works section of the PACA website does not mention anything relating to Marseille-Nimes.

It migth be worth to dig through the SNCF global info. This might offer some more information.

In contrast fo the DB for instance, SNCF has a tendency not show trains in their booking engine, until the schedules are finalized.

I can give you no real advice: Chicken that I am, I would buy a coach ticket. And if a train would come available as short notice, I would just ditch the coach ticket and take the train :).

Veteran Member
It looks as though they are not stopping at Vitrolles, but maintaining arrival time in Marseille. The only diversion is via the coast, but the schedule doesn't allow for that - maybe it will by Friday.

nwales58

Also, the tiny number of through trains is normal as it crosses a region border (Occitanie-PACA).

sncf-connect shows the 0816 TER (via Arles) and 0928 Intercités from Nimes Centre as running.

Why sncf-connect does not show the connections at Avignon Centre, when restricted to TER only I don't know. It does offer Nimes-Arles times and fares though (Eur 15.70 instead of 6.70 direct as far as Arles) but not beyond.

Engineering work is more likely to happen away from holiday weekends in France but anything is possible.

Last edited:

dutchflyer

Established Member
Greetings from FRance-now sitting in MUlhouse, Big East region, and noted yet another ´social movement´=eufemism for strike in the bubbly region just west (CHampagne), effecting the remaining few regional direct TER-trains to the big capital Paris.
Having taking a plane there myself some time ago: this airpt has NO train station on the grounds-the last mile is on a PAYable local/regional bus-less as 2€
Yes, the general SNCF-site is notorious for sending people as much as possible into TGV etc trains.
ALT: the specific sites of the regional TER-in this case Occitanie (=´the country where they say oc´ for oui=yes) and PACA. On those of the regions one can also check the fiches horaires per line and the enormous list of planned works. Or use the always obliging bahn.de by german railways-can also set that one to ´only local trains´ if so wanted-this exclude the TGV and RES-needed FRench IC-trains. Using that for a weekday the week before it only shows 1 train without change early morning, confirming your notion.
Also some additional:
Occitanie TER trains are labelled LiO (Lignes in Oc). They seem mainly set on offering low fares-many of the local smaller city buses are free-joined by Montpellier a few month ago, but just for the local people. Many TER trains offer much lower fares, when prebooked.
Also there is a kind of touristy pass, for consecutive 2-5 days, only for local TER-trains in this region (goes as far as Avignon, not this airport place) for 10€/day. MUst be ordered online and self-print or loaded on fone (dont know if specific app is needed for that).
On the 1st weekend of the month ALL TER trains, but only prebooked till exhausted, sell for just 1€/ride. I dk how they handle any other comers, like passholders etc. You may enjoy this experience seeing your date.
And no, MON 6/5 is no long weekend, THU 9/5 is=ascension, but this weekend is in some FR regions the last of the spring holidays, again I dk if this also applies for this region-or not. If you stay in this area the week before: 1/5, for the joyous united workers often leads to much reduced service.
Also: a kind of FRench age-old institution might explain a little: the ´blanc horaire´= a few hrs gap in the timings to allow for any urgent inspections, short repairs and the like. Mostly late morning-just before normal lunch-perhaps also a kind of excuse to have the railway staff their cherished cooked hot lunch at that time as the tradition says all FRench should have-and many still do as I see today. As you may all know, rigid hourly timings etc are not a really french thing.

nwales58

Dutchflyer: as well 08/05 is Fete de la Victoire.

But the point is:
Do direct trains not exist on this route in the middle of the day?
Correct, for Nimes-Arles-Marseille.

3 services early morning, 2 in the evening. Pretty good for a inter-region service in France unfortunately. Look at Caen-Rennes for far worse.

I once stranded myself at Tarascon, hence the pathological interest!

SandsofEss

Thanks all. This has been a very informative thread - especially on the paucity of cross-regional local trains, and the blanc horaire.

Frustratingly, there's one additional direct train in the timetable runs on weekends and public holidays that would have been perfect for us (TER 876538). Alas, 6th May is not a public holiday.

The coach it is.