• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

is there a better solution for this poor mother and her child?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12CSVT

Established Member
All the sarcastic comments in this thread are very unhelpful.

This is not an acceptable situation for a 4 year old child.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
All the sarcastic comments in this thread are very unhelpful.

This is not an acceptable situation for a 4 year old child.

I agree, maybe the mother should have got the forms submitted a bit quicker?

oldman

You guys sound like a bunch of Daily Mail readers to me. By the way, as she appears not to be married, she is obviously undeserving of sympathy ;).

You of course know that the shorter route that you found would be convenient for her, although Wikipedia says " It is often claimed that the village is the second largest in England (in terms of area)" so maybe it isn't that close to her home.

It is noticable that she lives close to the local government boundary, and schools in nearby Castleford are probably not available. There may be more convenient schools closer to Leeds, but further in miles, that would be easier to get to.

I guess the council officials (in Leeds proper) gave no thought to the travelling issues for public transport users on the periphery, and she has used the media to get them to think again. Good luck to her.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
You guys sound like a bunch of Daily Mail readers to me. By the way, as she appears not to be married, she is obviously undeserving of sympathy ;).

You of course know that the shorter route that you found would be convenient for her, although Wikipedia says " It is often claimed that the village is the second largest in England (in terms of area)" so maybe it isn't that close to her home.

Some walking is possible, surely? I used to walk 1.5 miles each way to primary school (with my mum) up (going) a very steep hill.

Surely a short walk and a bus would be better than a horrendous bus trip?

richw

Veteran Member
Some walking is possible, surely? I used to walk 1.5 miles each way to primary school (with my mum) up (going) a very steep hill.

Likewise I had to walk about 2.5 miles, didn't do me no harm!

GodAtum

On Moderation

There is no bridge across the river so she would have to walk a long way round, according to Google it is 2.9 miles. The walk is across some desolate terrain which may not be safe.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
it's as the crow flies and it fits into the 2 mile limit, but due to rivers in the way you have to go a (very) long way round to get between the places.

As far as I can see, it is the distance along the ‘shortest available walking route’ - anything else wouldn't be particularly logical.

455driver

Veteran Member
As far as I can see, it is the distance along the ‘shortest available walking route’ - anything else wouldn't be particularly logical.

But you are dealing with a government department!
Since when did they do 'logical'? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.