• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

It's not all bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuneatonmark

Not too surprisingly there is a lot of discussion on here about how to improve things, things going wrong and things that annoy us regarding the railways in this country. After a journey yesterday to Ashford in Kent it did remind me that we do actually have some good things railway wise. I started off in a Pendo, I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but I like them despite their slightly cramped interior. They look great and they swoosh round those 19th curves like they are not there doing 97 miles in less than one hour. Then a five minute walk to one of the greatest railway stations in the world, hop on a 395 and to Ashford in next to no time at all, a very smooth journey indeed. From house to office in Ashford in about 2 hours 45 minutes. No hassle and got loads of work done.

What's been your best experience recently on the railways?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Excluding the TPE rail replacement bus last weekend I've only used the local class 153 from Grimsby Docks station to Barton this year. The train was ontime and fast. However it's the stations that are not up to standard.

The class 185 are very nice and comfy. In my mind they would be perfect if they had opening windows and no 1st class space being wasted. In the May timetable it looks that 170s will become more common on my line, they are nice too but haven't enough room unless they're a double unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

anti-pacer

Established Member
Not too surprisingly there is a lot of discussion on here about how to improve things, things going wrong and things that annoy us regarding the railways in this country. After a journey yesterday to Ashford in Kent it did remind me that we do actually have some good things railway wise. I started off in a Pendo, I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but I like them despite their slightly cramped interior. They look great and they swoosh round those 19th curves like they are not there doing 97 miles in less than one hour. Then a five minute walk to one of the greatest railway stations in the world, hop on a 395 and to Ashford in next to no time at all, a very smooth journey indeed. From house to office in Ashford in about 2 hours 45 minutes. No hassle and got loads of work done.

You live in Nuneaton and work in Ashford? :shock:

Mind you, saying that, I did Earl Shilton to Archway (North London) each day for 3 months.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Getting a few ales down my neck, heading up north on a Crosscountry HST. :D

Keeping in the same vein as this thread topic, I could also say my daily commute to work. While I envy some of our continental equivalents their excellent multi-modal connectivity, punctuality and logical approach to defining service types, we really don't have it nearly as bad as many would make out. The trains on my local line are modern, reliable, clean and 49 times out of 50 there'll be a seat for me. Can't really complain.

Certainly beats being cramped up in the passenger seat of my mate's Citroen C1 on the deathly dull (and, in high winds, occasionally concerning) M6 all the way to Lancaster last weekend. With my lower back in agony, I would have gladly welcomed a seat, a refreshing ale and the faster journey time offered by the equivalent journey on a Voyager (though it is primarily the slightly superior Pendolinos on the route nowadays anyway).

HowardGWR

Established Member
I didn't know this section existed until NuneatonMark's post was moved here!

I am fond of the 159s of SWT. We already know how reliable they are and the comfort is OK. They are becoming a bit dated now, but the overall package is good, which it needs to be when the service calls at every farmyard.

Cletus

Established Member
You didn't know this section existed? It's one of my forum highlights, Techniquest, Darlo Rich, 55013, etc's trip reports are terrific reading.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
First Class on East Coast at Christmas (well, two of the three trips anyway). The booze always helps- although I'm sad they don't stock Rekorderlig cider now- but the staff seemed really friendly and chatty. And good at taking the p!$$, which made the journey go all the faster.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cletus:2042438 said:
You didn't know this section existed? It's one of my forum highlights, Techniquest, Darlo Rich, 55013, etc's trip reports are terrific reading.

I also spend a lot of time in this sector of the forum, obviously lol. Very much enjoy reading trip reports from others!

I have had good experiences of the railway too, except for Chiltern chucking out a 168 vice 67 the other week which was my biggest disappointment thus far in recent times!

Kite159

Veteran Member
I also spend a lot of time in this sector of the forum, obviously lol. Very much enjoy reading trip reports from others!

I have had good experiences of the railway too, except for Chiltern chucking out a 168 vice 67 the other week which was my biggest disappointment thus far in recent times!

Could have been worst, could have been a double 165 ;)

CC 72100

Established Member
No that would have been grand, I like my 165s!

There's always one... ;)

They're not that bad, they just seem to me like a more modern version of a 150. They're used pretty intensively though, certainly the FGW ones are.

SS4

Established Member
Mine is going standard premier on Eurostar. Although I did not appreciate the decor the breakfast was very nice (the continental breads) and the seat is comfortable but mostly the ambience of not having any scrotes ruin the journey and a quiet zone that was respected. Also odd (in a good way) was using a double decker train in the Netherlands. It felt weird to go upstairs and even weirder to see one's waste drop out of a hole onto the track :lol:

Domestically Chiltern's loco hauled services are always a pleasure (the 1255 ex BMO is often my favourite train to go to London on) and I am often surprised at just how frequent the Tube can be off peak

Techniquest

Veteran Member
AdamW:2044391 said:
No that would have been grand, I like my 165s!

There's always one... ;)

They're not that bad, they just seem to me like a more modern version of a 150. They're used pretty intensively though, certainly the FGW ones are.

Aye, the FGW ones are more rateable noise wise too, although with the right driver and route Chiltern ones can be OK too!

Status
Not open for further replies.