• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Japanese Train TV Progs on Sunday 28 Dec 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envoy

Established Member
A couple of TV programmes about trains will be shown on the Japanese English Language Channel (NHK) on Sunday 28 December, 2014.

'Train Cruise' = 11.10am & 17.10 will be a journey to the coast by tram & local train.

'High Speed, High Safety' = 15.10 & 21.10 will be about the Shinkansen high speed services. This is a different programme to that which was shown on Boxing Day.

NHK is available on -
Freesat 209, Sky 507 & Virgin 625 - but this 'mean' company will only supply it to those paying for the dearest XL package.

I have posted this message on the general forum as more people view this category. It is likely that the moderator will move it to the international section. However, it is likely that these programmes will interest those who never read the international section on these forums. It can also be argued that the programmes will appeal to those who are interested in trams as well as those who are into high speed rail. Hence the logic of posting it here, on the general forum.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Thanks for that, all set to record. I've just watched the Boxing Day one on my filthy rich XL package ;)

dgl

Established Member
And of course (on freesat hd at least) in glorious HD. Will definatly be setting these up to record.

dgl

Established Member
Only HD as far as I'm aware. Think its available online though.

Holmbridge

Some superb programming today.....one featured Network Rail taking weekend possession of the West Coast ML and how they coped with problems but in the end the first trains on Monday ran on time

Wonder if it was shown at Finsbury Park station buffet.

Envoy

Established Member
Thanks for that, all set to record. I've just watched the Boxing Day one on my filthy rich XL package ;)

Well, I am lucky enough to have it for free in HD on Freesat. I also have a Panasonic Freesat HD twin tuner PVR with hard drive & a built- in DVD recorder - so anything transmitted that I wish to keep can be copied to a DVD - all within the one box. This is far better than the watch & wipe situation that you have with most PVR's using just a hard drive. Unfortunately, Panasonic only now have such a machine for Freeview. At least with Freeview, you can move channels and have the most important channels on single digits - like CH4 HD which I have moved from 104 to 4. All other platforms require the input of 3 digit numbers and the HD channels might be spread all over the place making channel hopping difficult to say the least. HD versions of Channel 5, ITV 2,3,4 & a few others are not available on Freeview or Freesat.

You may also like to know that Virgin actually make people pay for channels that are available for free on Freesat. Ones that I am aware of are of are the financial channel Bloomberg, Euronews, France 24, NHK HD, Al Jazeera. (Al Jazeera is actually also available in HD from main transmitters = Freeview HD. Oddly, the Freesat version is SD only). Russia Today is in SD on Freeview but HD on Freesat & I don't think that Virgin even carry it. As Virgin is not now owned by Branson but by the Americans, I guess they don't want Russian stuff on their system!

Anybody who has Sky & would like to switch to Freesat would simply have to unplug their Sky box and unscrew the connecting cables from the dish. Then having purchased a Freesat PVR, you simply screw in the the 2 cables from the dish and follow the instructions that appear on the screen such as inputting postcode to get the correct region of BBC on 101 etc. Note that it is only those boxes carrying the Freesat logo that do this & supply the EPG. Other boxes - without the logo - such as those that appear in Lidl, B&Q etc. should be avoided. If Sky customers stop subscribing for TV, they have a way of preventing the recording facility to work on the PVR. Once Sky TV is ditched, you can then negotiate a cheap Broadband & phone deal with them or threaten to move to another provider - as you are no longer beholden to them for TV. (It is also a good idea to plug an aerial into the TV to get Freeview). Obviously, sports fans would wish to keep Sky.

http://www.freesat.co.uk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is it only on 507 or is it on a none HD channel on Sky?

As far as I am aware, NHK closed down the SD version & only broadcast in HD. (The SD version would take up 25% of the capacity v HD).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.