• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Job translation issue - call for ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SZ

I hope this is the right forum section for such a topic, otherwise I sincerely apologize for the nooby mistake, and beg the almighty moderators to move it to its rightful place.

Hello everyone,

before I jump to my (rather urgent) request, I'll first quickly introduce myself - I'm working at Slovenian Railways (SZ) as a translator for English, and have recently stumbled upon an issue when trying to translate a particular rail post (orig. 'vlakovodja'), for which there appears to be no corresponding translation in English. I have therefore decided to translate the tasks of said post in the hopes to gather additional ideas or advice on how to crack this translation nut.

To get to the gist of the problem, here are the typical duties of a 'vlakovodja' (as opposed to 'strojevodja', which is translated as train driver):

- performing the tasks of head shunter
- keeping record of the train consist
- ensuring that the correct freight is loaded
- examining the wagons or coaches of the train
- performing brake testing
- drawing up reports on train consists and brake testing
- keeping control over the train and its crew

While including certain duties of a rail shunter, the post differs from that of a train guard and conductor. In German, the closest translation would be 'Zugführer' (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zugführer_(Bahn), emphasis on 3rd and 4th paragraphs), yet the duties of a Zugführer don't seem overlap entirely with the above list of tasks.
I've been thinking to translate the profession as 'trainman/woman', however I have the feeling it'd be an issue of 'undertranslating' the post in question.

ANY ideas or suggestions how this proffession would be called like in English, or if such a rail post even exists outside Slovenia, are greatly appreciated and will earn you my eternal gratitude.

P.S. I have to find the right answer by tomorrow (yea, I know...).
P.S. 2 I bet I made some grammar mistakes, but bear with me! I'm in a big rush :c

Status
Not open for further replies.