• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Laser eye surgery / Scotrail train driver....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jydo

This is the official line from First regarding laser eye.....

"ScotRail do employ drivers who have undergone corrective eye surgery, however there may be additional tests at the medical stage which the candidate would have to pay for themselves."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hutchy

Hi there,
I'm going through my conductor training with scotrail and was told at the training school scotrail won't employ you if you have had laser eye surgery if you are a driver or conductor. That was from an ex conductor who was going to get the surgery and was told not to if they wanted to keep their job!
Hope that helps a bit :)

Jydo

A friend of mine recieved an email from First Scotrail HR dept today which I have quoted from...

sarahj

Established Member
I was told as a conductor, if I'd had it beofre applying, that would be ok, but to have it now I'm there would be a no no.

Bluebri

The TOC's are all pretty strict about it. Laser eye surgery is a big no no, period. If you have had it and wish to apply, I would speak directly to the relevant TOC HR and get the answer from the horses mouth. This is definitely not an issue where chinese whispers help. There are a number of threads on this forum with similar types of questions. While there are people here who know the answers, it would appear the real reason for the question is that the OP often wishes someone to tell them what they want to hear. It will make no difference in the slightest to the TOC as their guidelines are pretty rigid as they are Safety Critical roles. Unless you have a direct response from the TOC personally, it is merely conjecture and open to opinion, not fact.

If it was me, I would simply ring Scotrail HR and ask the question directly, at the very least email them, outlining my query clearly and what I had heard / read. See what they come back with. As I said though, you aren't going to get the answer from that here, unless someone who makes those decisions from Scotrail posts here that is.

Last edited:

Jydo

Here is the email reply in full "straight from the horses mouth."

Our Ref: FSR140213BBHT

Dear Ms Williams

Thank you for your email dated 13 February 2014.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response, this was due to enquiries being made with the relevant managers.

In regards to your enquiry, I should advise that ScotRail do employ drivers who have undergone corrective eye surgery, however there may be additional tests at the medical stage which the candidate would have to pay for themselves.

Thank you for contacting ScotRail, I hope this information has been of use to you. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Should you need to reply to this email, please respond to [email protected].

Yours sincerely

Chaya Lenkiewicz
Customer Relations Advisor

Bluebri

Here is the email reply in full "straight from the horses mouth."

Our Ref: FSR140213BBHT

Dear Ms Williams

Thank you for your email dated 13 February 2014.

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response, this was due to enquiries being made with the relevant managers.

In regards to your enquiry, I should advise that ScotRail do employ drivers who have undergone corrective eye surgery, however there may be additional tests at the medical stage which the candidate would have to pay for themselves.

Thank you for contacting ScotRail, I hope this information has been of use to you. If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Should you need to reply to this email, please respond to [email protected].

Yours sincerely

Chaya Lenkiewicz
Customer Relations Advisor

Fair enough. Hold my hands up there. Maybe there will be a shift in this policy generally in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.