• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Last of Steam 1968

111vh

Just looking around to see I could find anything more about my Dad Joe Harrison Carnforth who I have a photograph and video of him signing autographs at Manchester Victoria driving the last scheduled steam driven Belfast Boat train. He said at the time he was Offord £200 by the press to ride on the footplate, but had to say know as it was against regulations. He was a top link driver in the north west.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
Is he the Joe Harrison of Carnforth shed in this photo?

link takes you to the Alamy images site offering for sale a photo described as

Tradesmen at Carnforth standing in front of their engine. Left to right: boiler washer, Norman Wilson; firedropper, Norman Cottier; bar lad, Tommy Longstaffe; driver, Joe Harrison; and steamraiser, Fred Scott. The article was to mark the last steam train run on a standard gauge track between Liverpool and Carlisle on 11th August 1968. It was almost 138 years (in 1968) since the opening ceremony was performed on the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, the first to use steam for both passenger and goods trains. Date: 1968

WesternLancer

Established Member
Just looking around to see I could find anything more about my Dad Joe Harrison Carnforth who I have a photograph and video of him signing autographs at Manchester Victoria driving the last scheduled steam driven Belfast Boat train. He said at the time he was Offord £200 by the press to ride on the footplate, but had to say know as it was against regulations. He was a top link driver in the north west.
There are probably people on this forum who chased steam in 1968 who might well have been on that train! With luck they will see your post.

Magdalia

Established Member
Just looking around to see I could find anything more about my Dad Joe Harrison Carnforth who I have a photograph and video of him signing autographs at Manchester Victoria driving the last scheduled steam driven Belfast Boat train.
I suggest that you read this discussion from last year.