• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

leave a station at each end to get to same destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
You can travel to York from stations from Cottingham to Bempton in either direction. Change in Seamer/Scarborough, or in the other direction Hull/Doncaster/Selby.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Almost any station, to almost any other station, if changing is permitted. For example, Manchester Piccadilly to Mauldeth Road, direct, or via Ox Road, Warrington Bank Quay, Crewe, Wilmslow & Manchester Airport.

Robinson

Almost any station, to almost any other station, if changing is permitted. For example, Manchester Piccadilly to Mauldeth Road, direct, or via Ox Road, Warrington Bank Quay, Crewe, Wilmslow & Manchester Airport.

I'm under the impression changing isn't allowed; otherwise I'll offer another one - Alsager to Manchester Piccadilly hasn't already been mentioned (changing at either Crewe or Kidsgrove/Stoke).

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Not sure whether this has been mentioned, but Exeter St David's is another example. First Great Western services to London Paddington leave northwards towards Taunton, whilst South West Trains services to London Waterloo leave southwards but turn eastwards just outside the station toward Exeter Central and Salisbury.

Eagle

Established Member
Not sure whether this has been mentioned, but Exeter St David's is another example. First Great Western services to London Paddington leave northwards towards Taunton, whilst South West Trains services to London Waterloo leave southwards but turn eastwards just outside the station toward Exeter Central and Salisbury.

Ditto Westbury.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Oh another one of mine, which I should know locally! At Cardiff Central, there is one of two options to Shrewsbury. One is via Newport and Hereford on the Welsh Marches Line towards Manchester, the more frequent route, whilst the other is via Swansea and Llandrindod Wells on the Heart of Wales Line.

Eagle

Established Member
Does the sleeper pass through Trowbridge?

Often. The route between Reading and Taunton is flexible.

It could go Reading–Swindon–Melksham–Trowbridge–Westbury–Taunton, or it could go Reading–Bedwyn–Trowbridge–Bath–Bristol TM–Taunton. (Or it could go direct via Bedwyn, or via Swindon and Bristol, or divert through Bristol Parkway, or through Weston, or in rare cases via Basingstoke and Salisbury.)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Often. The route between Reading and Taunton is flexible.

It could go Reading–Swindon–Melksham–Trowbridge–Westbury–Taunton, or it could go Reading–Bedwyn–Trowbridge–Bath–Bristol TM–Taunton. (Or it could go direct via Bedwyn, or via Swindon and Bristol, or divert through Bristol Parkway, or through Weston, or in rare cases via Basingstoke and Salisbury.)

Oh right, I thought it went Reading to Taunton via Newbury, Pewsey and Castle Cary.

Eagle

Established Member
Oh right, I thought it went Reading to Taunton via Newbury, Pewsey and Castle Cary.

Very rarely does that, it'd be too quick. It's got about three and a half hours to get between Reading and Taunton.

That's one reason we don't have many sleepers in this country; the trains are too fast and the country is too small :lol:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Very rarely does that, it'd be too quick. It's got about three and a half hours to get between Reading and Taunton.

That's one reason we don't have many sleepers in this country; the trains are too fast and the country is too small :lol:

True, so divert it as much as possible then!

inkyadrian

Southampton Central is another fairly well-known one; trains to Romsey go from both ends.

I should have said: These are regular-timetabled trains and only by travelling on one. Chester to Birmingham is an example, either via Crewe or Shrewsbury.

TheJRB

Established Member
From Slade Green and all other stations on the Dartford loop lines it is possible to get to Cannon Street in either direction.

4SRKT

Established Member
Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh (sort of).

If the low level platforms count (and I say they do), then also Glasgow Central to Newton, Uddingston, Bellshill, Motherwell and Whifflet. And Queen Street to Springburn.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So my answer is surely correct?

Yours is, but lots of others haven't been.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
I thought the FGW Sleepers were booked to stop at Bristol Temple Meads in both directions for a Crew Change?

Are there any occasions where the Sleeper is routed via Bristol Parkway, reverse at Bristol TM and go via Bath & Westbury or use Dr Days curve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.