• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Northwestern Railway app - split ticketing?

ServerHoster

I came across this new “feature” when looking for a train from London Euston to Crewe, and a message box randomly popped up saying

“Discounts with Split tickets. We've found 0 savings on your journey. There's no difference to your journey. You'll just have more tickets than usual.”

There were no journeys with split tickets so I pressed the “later trains” button and the overnight itineraries showed up (the ones where you get the last train of the day from London to Northampton, then the first train of the day from Northampton to Crewe)

This is where the split ticket option showed up, you could press the info button and it would give a breakdown of the split tickets:
London to Northampton, Advance Single.
Northampton to Crewe, Advance Single.

—————

I then searched up another journey which has a known split, from Sandbach to York, it is cheaper to split at Stockport or Manchester if returning on the same day.

This time, it didn’t specifically say that it was offering split tickets, instead it showed an “Off Peak Day Return” for £53.50, according to BR Fares, this ticket does not exist.

I pressed the “valid stations and tickets restrictions” button which said at the top “You can travel from: Sandbach. You can travel to: Deansgate, Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Victoria”. My guess is that this was offering split tickets at Manchester without actually telling me?

I selected the ticket to progress to the next page, unfortunately at this point it popped up with “Sorry, we couldn’t get any results right now. Please try again or change your search details.” However, selecting the £64.50 Off Peak Return didn’t bring up this error.

—————

I then searched up a third and final journey, from Milton Keynes Central to Bedford (MKC-BDM). Due to the Marston Vale Line £1 Offer, it is cheaper to split at Bletchley.

When searching as a one way journey, the app correctly identified as a split ticket and allowed me to click through to the last page to purchase.

However, when searching as a return journey, the app offered an Off Peak Day return for £6.20, again, this fare from MKC-BDM doesn’t exist according to BR Fares. So I assume again that it’s doing split tickets in disguise.

It doesn’t allow me to click through to the last page to book as an error pops up, but it does let me buy the £10.50 full priced ticket.

I also searched this journey on their website, however, the split ticketing feature hasn’t been turned on as it only offers the £10.50 full priced ticket.

Edit: it looks like not all the screenshots uploaded, I’ll re-upload them later when I’m on a faster internet connection

Attachments

• IMG_5602.png
    IMG_5602.png
    329 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5606.png
    IMG_5606.png
    275.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5607.png
    IMG_5607.png
    310.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5608.png
    IMG_5608.png
    279.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5605.png
    IMG_5605.png
    648.1 KB · Views: 28
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It definitely appears to do the split I commonly use.

It's Trainline based, so I guess they've paid Trainline to incorporate that from their "full fat" app.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I then searched up another journey which has a known split, from Sandbach to York, it is cheaper to split at Stockport or Manchester if returning on the same day.

This time, it didn’t specifically say that it was offering split tickets, instead it showed an “Off Peak Day Return” for £53.50, according to BR Fares, this ticket does not exist.
I pressed the “valid stations and tickets restrictions” button which said at the top “You can travel from: Sandbach. You can travel to: Deansgate, Manchester Piccadilly, Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester Victoria”. My guess is that this was offering split tickets at Manchester without actually telling me?

I selected the ticket to progress to the next page, unfortunately at this point it popped up with “Sorry, we couldn’t get any results right now. Please try again or change your search details.” However, selecting the £64.50 Off Peak Return didn’t bring up this error.
The £53.50 fare offered is likely to be a Sandbach -> Manchester Stns Off Peak Day Return at £16.50 plus a Manchester Stns -> York Off Peak Return at £37.00.

superkopite

I can't seem to find any spilt tickets for the above examples in either the iOS or Android app. I wonder if they are A/B testing the feature