• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Amsterdam via Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncombec

Hoping I can garner some advice from the more seasoned travellers on the forum. I haven't been abroad since May 2019 (this trip was delayed from March 2020!), so my experiences are all now in those halcyon pre-Brexit, pre-Covid, rock up at passport control and that'll do days... I also have a low "faff tolerance", so check my own details about 75 times before joining a queue, and end up behind the person who hasn't realised they have to take their coat off for security... I'd hate to be that person! Added to which this is my first time visiting the Netherlands, so I won't have the comfort of knowing where the hell I'm going...

I'm travelling to Amsterdam in the first week of September by Eurostar, direct to and from the UK. I have had three vaccines ("fully" + booster).

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/netherlands/entry-requirements says I need a Covid Pass, which I can get from the NHS, either by App or through other means, including post if I really want to: (I don't have the App, so I'd be using the "other digital" route... PDF to e-mail?)
Fully vaccinated UK nationals who can provide acceptable proof of vaccination, which includes the UK COVID Pass, are allowed to enter the Netherlands.

If you have received a booster (or third dose), you are considered fully vaccinated for entry into the Netherlands. There is currently no expiry date for booster jabs. [then goes on to state less than 270 days since your vaccine for those with only two doses, which doesn't apply to me.]

This appears confirmed by the Dutch government at https://www.government.nl/topics/co...-abroad/requirements-for-proof-of-vaccination, which says

No end date for validity after booster vaccination​

Proof of vaccination is valid indefinitely after you receive your booster vaccination.

So far, so good. But moving on to the fact we are part of the "EU travel ban with exemptions, and the documents to be shown section... (https://www.government.nl/topics/co...e-entry-ban/eu-entry-ban-exemption-categories)

Documents to be shown at the Dutch border​

If you meet the conditions above and travel to the Netherlands, you will need to show the following documents to the Dutch border authorities:

I assume the top line, the Dutch vaccination form (https://www.government.nl/topics/co...tions/2021/07/01/vaccine-declaration-covid-19), still needs to be completed? I presume the answer to 276 days+ in Q2.4 is yes (because it was last summer), but I'm covered regardless by having had the booster in 2.6?
The second line is covered by the NHS Covid Pass?
And I'll obviously have the third, in the form of my return ticket!

Is there anything I've missed, or is my understanding incorrect? I'm guessing these details are checked at St Pancras as part of the security & passport procedures there? And am I right in thinking there are now no requirements on reentering the UK at all?

Comments from anyone who has done this journey within the last couple of months would be much appreciated, so I can prepare my "low faff tolerance" for the journey! Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cdd89

Established Member
All your presumptions above are correct.

With the exception that I expect you’ll find minimal interest in the forms or details. I’ve used Eurostar several times in the last two months and every time it’s been a Eurostar employee just checking covid passes.

duncombec

With the exception that I expect you’ll find minimal interest in the forms or details. I’ve used Eurostar several times in the last two months and every time it’s been a Eurostar employee just checking covid passes.
Brilliant, thank you! Nice to know I've managed to work my way through the forest of "this, except when that" correctly.

Basically, get an NHS pass, fill out the Dutch form, and get on with it!

Backroom_boy

One thing I've not been able to discover is why London 》Amsterdam is now timetabled an extra 30 minutes from when it first opened? Was the original just a bit too heroic to achieve reliably?

Alex Mihai

I travelled from London to Amsterdam on the 25th of July and there were no checks regarding Covid. I too am vaccinated with 3 doses (2 + booster), but note that I am not from the UK, I am from the EU.

One thing I've not been able to discover is why London 》Amsterdam is now timetabled an extra 30 minutes from when it first opened? Was the original just a bit too heroic to achieve reliably?
It's probably because the security check-up takes way longer than expected. When I travelled on the 25th we left with about 20 minutes delay, in order to allow everyone to pass through security and board the train (announced by train staff).

Backroom_boy

I travelled from London to Amsterdam on the 25th of July and there were no checks regarding Covid. I too am vaccinated with 3 doses (2 + booster), but note that I am not from the UK, I am from the EU.

It's probably because the security check-up takes way longer than expected. When I travelled on the 25th we left with about 20 minutes delay, in order to allow everyone to pass through security and board the train (announced by train staff).
Although that would be extended check in time not the actual travel time.

Just googled it and the first advertised time was 3.41 hours then 3.52 and then since its been non-stop both ways its now listed as 4.07.

Veteran Member
Although that would be extended check in time not the actual travel time.

Just googled it and the first advertised time was 3.41 hours then 3.52 and then since its been non-stop both ways its now listed as 4.07.
The fastest time is 3h55 (the 08.16) which works by omitting Lille (and thereby useful connections South) and running later than standard through the Tunnel (making for a tight connection into Thalys for Germany - which is do-able as it's cross-platform).

Broucek

Security / Passport control at St Pancras is a disaster. Last week, we stood in a queue for over an hour which is normal these days, I believe….

duncombec

Now back from my travels, with a few updates (thanks mod's for unlocking the thread), as they might be useful for anyone else:

As you suggested, there was indeed minimal interest in any Covid forms... minimal to the extent of none at all! There was a sign up at French passport control to have it ready, but it wasn't asked for (although of course, it might be asked for in certain circumstances, so I'd take them with me as long as the Dutch government website states you ought to).

I did notice coming back southbound (Amsterdam > London) that we really were very slow going around Brussels, with pauses in two of the local stations (Chapelle and one other which I've forgotten), then the 15 minute stop at Brussels (which doesn't appear in the public info, but is on the timetable in both directions).

We left on time from Amsterdam, but the train was only on the platform 7 minutes before departure (it arrived and doors were unlocked at 13:40 for a 13:47 departure - how we managed it I don't know!). One thing I did note is that the terminal at Amsterdam was rather too small for the number of passengers, even "fully seated" there were still people standing... and limited to no facilities! Glad there weren't any journey problems with just two loos per gender and a card-only, seemingly temperamental coffee machine! In fairness, St Pancras was also getting close, but with the start of two train loads of passengers and better facilities (even if it was an understaffed Pret).
I wonder if the likelihood of an on-time departure depends on how many are booked from Amsterdam, as opposed to other intermediate stations making up a full train?

Security / Passport control at St Pancras is a disaster. Last week, we stood in a queue for over an hour which is normal these days, I believe….
I had no problems at St Pancras either. The queue was well within the "Eurostar hall" (although the barriers were still out down the station) and this covered both an Amsterdam and a Paris departure, and we just meandered through at walking pace, only stopping when there was a back-up in security because of 'I forgot X in my pocket three times' sort, or trying to get the ticket gates to read multiple tickets on one phone. Of course, it will differ from day-to-day, but I wouldn't call it a disaster. I've certainly stood in far longer security queues before, staffed by far ruder people.

All in all, I was pretty impressed by my journeys both ways. I'd definitely consider them again for shorter journeys within Europe (even better if I could change from HS1 at Ebbsfleet, but that's a cross-reference to another thread...). The train coming back was fully booked - down to an announcement on leaving Amsterdam not to move to a seat that looked nicer than yours because people would be joining at other stations), and although I only had a carriage and a half to walk (from 10 to 8) on the way back, I didn't see any seats available as I wandered up to get a cup of tea somewhere outside of Calais.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Now back from my travels, with a few updates (thanks mod's for unlocking the thread), as they might be useful for anyone else:

As you suggested, there was indeed minimal interest in any Covid forms... minimal to the extent of none at all! There was a sign up at French passport control to have it ready, but it wasn't asked for (although of course, it might be asked for in certain circumstances, so I'd take them with me as long as the Dutch government website states you ought to).

I did notice coming back southbound (Amsterdam > London) that we really were very slow going around Brussels, with pauses in two of the local stations (Chapelle and one other which I've forgotten), then the 15 minute stop at Brussels (which doesn't appear in the public info, but is on the timetable in both directions).

We left on time from Amsterdam, but the train was only on the platform 7 minutes before departure (it arrived and doors were unlocked at 13:40 for a 13:47 departure - how we managed it I don't know!). One thing I did note is that the terminal at Amsterdam was rather too small for the number of passengers, even "fully seated" there were still people standing... and limited to no facilities! Glad there weren't any journey problems with just two loos per gender and a card-only, seemingly temperamental coffee machine! In fairness, St Pancras was also getting close, but with the start of two train loads of passengers and better facilities (even if it was an understaffed Pret).
I wonder if the likelihood of an on-time departure depends on how many are booked from Amsterdam, as opposed to other intermediate stations making up a full train?

I had no problems at St Pancras either. The queue was well within the "Eurostar hall" (although the barriers were still out down the station) and this covered both an Amsterdam and a Paris departure, and we just meandered through at walking pace, only stopping when there was a back-up in security because of 'I forgot X in my pocket three times' sort, or trying to get the ticket gates to read multiple tickets on one phone. Of course, it will differ from day-to-day, but I wouldn't call it a disaster. I've certainly stood in far longer security queues before, staffed by far ruder people.

All in all, I was pretty impressed by my journeys both ways. I'd definitely consider them again for shorter journeys within Europe (even better if I could change from HS1 at Ebbsfleet, but that's a cross-reference to another thread...). The train coming back was fully booked - down to an announcement on leaving Amsterdam not to move to a seat that looked nicer than yours because people would be joining at other stations), and although I only had a carriage and a half to walk (from 10 to 8) on the way back, I didn't see any seats available as I wandered up to get a cup of tea somewhere outside of Calais.

I've also been on the Eurostar last week, and they literally never ask for any covid certification

island

Veteran Member
No more COVID-related requirements on Eurostar now. Queues are still elevated owing to passport control taking longer, and I suppose that isn't going away. At least leaving France I can use the EU queues.

duncanp

Established Member
At least leaving France I can use the EU queues.

Not at Lille Europe you can't.

There is only one queue for Eurostar check in and passport control, regardless of whether your passport was issued by an EU member state or not.

I don't recall having separate queues for passport control at Paris Gare Du Nord or Brussels Midi either.

island

Veteran Member
Not at Lille Europe you can't.

There is only one queue for Eurostar check in and passport control, regardless of whether your passport was issued by an EU member state or not.

I don't recall having separate queues for passport control at Paris Gare Du Nord or Brussels Midi either.
Actually I can and have. Anytime I've been through Lille-Europe, the queue splits out to EU passports and All passports after the Eurostar ticket check.

At Paris-Nord EU citizens also have separate queues. Same at Rotterdam Centraal.

Not currently aware of Brussels-Midi or Amsterdam arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.