• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

mulla83

Hi guys,

I'm planning a Monday to Friday trip to London (specifically for units), and was wondering if anyone could help me with a few queries.

I have just got back in to spotting after about 15 years and I'm constantly being told how much London has changed. I have plans to visit the obvious (Clapham, Fenchurch St, Bethnal Green, etc) but have been told that London Bridge is a no go due to construction work, and also that getting on to St Pancras to view the 395's is not going to happen, and the list goes on.

If anyone could shed any light on Spotter friendly stations and indeed and locations that are good for getting units these days that would be much appriciated.

Andy:D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
Stratford and Forest Gate are good, Kenton and also Harrow & Wealdstone are good haunts of mine for spotting

Alistair G.

If you want the javelins then I go to Stratford international (one stop out of St Pancras so it doesn't cost a fortune!) limited to just javelins and Eurostar though so can be a bit slow going.

Royal Oak (tube station) is a brilliant place to spot and photograph things coming in and out of Paddington (save walking up and down those platforms!)

Surrey quays is the place I go for 378's, don't ask me why because I have no idea to be honest, just 378's only but always seems busy and has a Tesco for snacks and sandwiches so I suppose makes a good stop off midday

Finsbury Park is good for east Coast stuff but they do fly through there!! And barking is a good place for C2C units, plus it has London overground 172's and the odd freight through.

Have a nice trip wherever you go mate and make sure you give us a write up of how it all went!.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Barking would probably be better than Fenchurch Street as it it a nicer station and is also served by the London Overground 172s. Are you interested in the London Underground at all (as Barking also has the District line at platform level)? East Croydon would also be good as all of the Southern stuff through Clapham goes though there as well as the stuff coming from London Bridge direction (Thameslink and more Southern units).

Temple Meads

Established Member
If you want the javelins then I go to Stratford international (one stop out of St Pancras so it doesn't cost a fortune!) limited to just javelins and Eurostar though so can be a bit slow going.

If you don't want the expense of HS1 fares to Stratford International you could always get off at the regional station, take the DLR to International then request access to the platforms for spotting purposes, I had no issues with that, just had to sign in.

96tommy

I've never had a problem with the Southeastern staff at St Pancras allowing me to stay on the platform and get photos of the Javelins etc... you should be fine as long as you tell them what you are doing and how long you plan to be there for

Alistair G.

If you don't want the expense of HS1 fares to Stratford International you could always get off at the regional station, take the DLR to International then request access to the platforms for spotting purposes, I had no issues with that, just had to sign in.

When I tried this a few years back I met possibly the most militant member of southeastern staff, who refused to allow me on the platform (a short discussion took place, mainly him telling me it was against his (not southeasterns!) station policy)

I then bought a ticket and when I didn't board the first train he then came and confronted me as to why I didn't board the first train to St. Pancras. I told him the ticket wasn't for any particular train, just a train to St. Pancras some point that day. After much mumbling he walked off and left me alone.

To be fair, this is the only time I have had a problem there but since that time I have always bought a ticket just in case!

Last edited:

coxy

A couple of places I visit when in London are:

West Hampstead (Thameslink) - you'll get all of the East Midlands Trains services out of St. Pancras (HST, Class 222), plus the majority of EMUs that go through St. Pancras Low Level (Classes 319, 377, 387).

Shadwell DLR - you'll see everything going into/out of Fenchurch Street, plus the DLR trains heading to/from Bank & Tower Gateway.

Balham - you'll see all Southern services that go in/out of Victoria. There's the added bonus of a nice cafe on the platform.

Temple Meads

Established Member
When I tried this a few years back I met possibly the most militant member of southeastern staff, who refused to allow me on the platform (a short discussion took place, mainly him telling me it was against his (not southeasterns!) station policy)

I then bought a ticket and when I didn't board the first train he then came and confronted me as to why I didn't board the first train to St. Pancras. I told him the ticket wasn't for any particular train, just a train to St. Pancras some point that day. After much mumbling he walked off and left me alone.

To be fair, this is the only time I have had a problem there but since that time I have always bought a ticket just in case!

Ah, I've only been there once, so obviously missed that particular member of staff!

I remember them being a little bemused by the request, but not unfriendly.

DasLunatic

Again, if you're including tube stock, the Piccadilly Line platforms at Piccadilly Circus are nice - IIRC you can see both platforms at the ends, I think.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Bethnal Green is good for both the GEML (90s, 315s, 321s, 360s etc) and the West Anglia lines (315s, 317s, 379s)

Status
Not open for further replies.