• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for a spot of advice regarding a potential fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian123

Good afternoon everyone,

It's been recommended i post of this forum for a bit of advice. So, quick summary, my wife travels on the train between Durham and Newcastle every day. She has a Trans Pennine Express weekly ticket.

The other day she boarded the train as normal and noticed once it set off that she'd actually got on a Cross Country train. The next station is Newcastle anyway so it's not as if she can get off the train at the next stop!

Not a problem, she'll just get a single when the conductor comes along.

The conductor duely arrives to check her ticket, and she says she's got on the wrong train and would like to buy a single.

She goes to pay and, horror of horrors, her bank card is declined (she'd had a few problems with this card recently with the chip).

As she now has no means of paying, her details are taken, including phone number and address. They ask if she has something to confirm her address, she shows them her provisional driving licence which is years old and has an old address on. As the conductor is writing this address down my wife points out that it's the wrong address, and manages to find an invoice in her work bag with the correct address on.

The conductor takes her (correct) address and leaves her be.

This was 3 days ago.

My wife is now worried sick that she's in deep trouble and is going spare waiting for a letter to arrive.

Now, dear readers, I know that the likely outcome of this is one of two things:

1 - A letter arrives saying no action will be taken
2 - A letter arrives asking to pay a fine

Unfortunately, my wife has been googling the issue and is now convinced she's going to be prosecuted and end up with a criminal record which will show up on her CRB check and she'll lose her job.

From my point of view, she made an attempt to pay after realising her mistake, couldn't pay, gave details, will likely be fined.

Can someone please put her mind at rest and explain what the likely outcome of all of this is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum. I suspect your wife will receive an unpaid fare notice requiring her to pay the outstanding fare.

ALternatively they might write to your wife saying that they are considering prosecution and asking for her version of events. This doesn't mean that they will prosecute but if she responds with a brief, concise letter they will probably offer an administrative settlement to keep the matter out of court.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Let us know what the letter days when it arrives.

It should just be an invoice for the fare due.

najaB

Veteran Member
I would be *very* surprised at an attempt to prosecute in this instance.

NoOnesFool

Good afternoon everyone,

She goes to pay and, horror of horrors, her bank card is declined (she'd had a few problems with this card recently with the chip).

As she now has no means of paying, her details are taken, including phone number and address.
is?
Did your wife not have any hard cash on her?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it would be very difficult to make a RoRA prosecution stick with this one, as there is almost no evidence of intent. This being the case, the worst case is probably a Byelaw prosecution which as I understand it doesn't show up on a DBS check.

However I would be surprised if it went anywhere near that far.

NoOnesFool

I think it would be very difficult to make a RoRA prosecution stick with this one, as there is almost no evidence of intent. This being the case, the worst case is probably a Byelaw prosecution which as I understand it doesn't show up on a DBS check.

However I would be surprised if it went anywhere near that far.
Boarded a train without a vaid ticket and without hard cash means to purchase a ticket,that could potentially lead to a RORA1889.

sheff1

Established Member
Boarded a train without a vaid ticket and without hard cash means to purchase a ticket,that could potentially lead to a RORA1889.

How can "RORA1889" mean anything to someone who has recently joined the forum to seek advice ? I am not sure I understand it myself in the context of the enquiry, and I have been here for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.