• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LUL track misaleignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

43021HST

Established Member
Whilst on the Bakerloo line, I think we was pulling into Paddington, the wheels started screeching, I just put it down to the flanges scaping against the rail. The train stopped at Paddington,and the driver told us sorry for the screeching, it wasnt the brakes it was a misaleighment between the track and the wheels. Some passengers began to look worried. He could have said it was just the flanges scraping against the track and it would have caused less panic.

Last time I had a misaleighnment with the track, it was on a model Railway and the whole train derailed, because someone had shifted the board slightly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I don't think it would be a serious misalignment, otherwise there would be an ESR, or a blockage. I'm sure Old Timer will pop along to explain why misalignments happen. The track could have shifted slightly out of gauge, but not enough to cause a derailment.

The misalignment on the model railway - if you scaled it up to normal gauge, then it wold probably be an earthquake! ;)

Bighat

Whilst on the Bakerloo line, I think we was pulling into Paddington, the wheels started screeching, I just put it down to the flanges scaping against the rail. The train stopped at Paddington,and the driver told us sorry for the screeching, it wasnt the brakes it was a misaleighment between the track and the wheels. Some passengers began to look worried. He could have said it was just the flanges scraping against the track and it would have caused less panic.

Last time I had a misaleighnment with the track, it was on a model Railway and the whole train derailed, because someone had shifted the board slightly.

Yes, but how many of Mrs and mrs Joe Public would know what a flange was, let alone its purpose?

Old Timer

Established Member
It seems to be a rather strange comment by the Driver, I must admit.

The track is actually maintained in a permanent position on this section of LUL, and the wheels do not move laterally out of guage.

I am tempted towards it being a tight curve, and perhaps new rails and a lack of rail grease.

Truth to tell I don't have a specific answer at this stage I am afraid.

On ballasted track it is unusual for track to move out of alignment, owing to the resistative properties of the track ballast. Normally, lateral misalignments will happen through heat related defects, or through some other mechanical pressure that is applies to the track formation.

Vertical misalignments on a limited scale will occur over time, but on a larger scale occur through heat related defects, or through a failure of the track support system ballast, formation, underbridges, embankments, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.