• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Magazines Help

Elmtree Line

I've been out of touch with the current Railways scene for the last couple of years, I notice 3 magazines that appear to appeal to me as they concentrate on current railway scene (I'm not interested in preserved) I do enjoy more of a generalised text with good photo representation, I'm not into deep technical talk. The 3 magazines are...

RAIL
Rail Express
Modern Railways

Could I get some thoughts on which 1 others think a good fit.?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Today's Railways
Today's Railways Europe

The former is for UK stuff, the latter... well... that's obvious... :)

jfollows

Established Member
Modern Railways is more analytical, in-depth, if you want to understand some of the reasons behind decisions then it's best for this sort of thing. But if you’re not into “deep technical talk” then it may not be for you.
Rail used to be dreadful but at least it's more frequent now and not as littered with errors as it used to be. It remains to be seen how the loss of some contributors will affect it.
I subscribe to both, but I'd ditch Rail if I wanted to save money.
PS And you didn't mention it, but Railway Magazine is of course a lot about older stuff, and its reporting of the contemporary situation has been pretty bad, so much so that I cancelled my subscription.

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
Rail Express provides excellent photographic coverage and reporting of the present day scene, with a focus on the more noteworthy loco-hauled workings.

It's the enthusiasts mag that RAIL was pre-1995, but printed on nice glossy paper, assuming that hasn't changed since I last picked up a copy.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
+1 for Today's Railways which is more pictorial with some interesting articles, targeted more towards enthusiasts
+1 for Modern Railways which is more analytical and targeted towards professions and serious enthusiasts

Railways Illustrated and Rail Express often have some good stuff/photographs