• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester to Edinburgh mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
(Unsure where to ask this)

Does anyone have the mileage for

Manchester Piccadilly to Edinburgh (via Wigan North Western)
And
Edinburgh to Manchester Oxford Road (via Wigan North Western) please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
You can do most of this with Table 65 of the NRT, but it is the bit between Wigan and Manchester where you have problems.

I wanted to calculate Wigan to Manchester last Summer and found that I had to use a combination of the NRT and Trackmaps.

I got Wigan North Western to Man Picc as 22 miles, making Edinburgh to Manchester 228.5. Stand to be corrected on the 22 though.

evotista

Edinburgh to Man Oxford Road via Wigan North Western is 229.27 miles

Edinburgh to Man Picc via Wigan North Western is 229.92 miles

Hope that helps

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
"Via Wigan North Western" isn't really specific enough.
I assume you mean via Golborne Jn, but via Atherton is a possible route (with 185s).
Or even via Westhoughton (which in the future will be an electric route).

Established Member
LNW-GW Joint:2104406 said:
"Via Wigan North Western" isn't really specific enough.
I assume you mean via Golborne Jn, but via Atherton is a possible route (with 185s).
Or even via Westhoughton (which in the future will be an electric route).
I did indeed mean via Golborne Jn. Do TPE have anything down the Atherton line? Presumably route knowledge reasons if nothing else?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I did indeed mean via Golborne Jn. Do TPE have anything down the Atherton line? Presumably route knowledge reasons if nothing else?

When there are blocks on the Bolton routes TP are sending everything via Golborne, but Atherton was a regular early/late route until recently, and for diversions.
Once the Bolton route is electrified Atherton won't be used by "TP" services, but an electric routeing via Wigan and Bolton will be an option one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.