• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mersey Rail fine

LemonandLime

Hi, I was in Liverpool a few days ago and travelled by train from Fazakerley to Liverpool Central. This was my first time travelling on Mersey rail and I purchased a ticket using trainline before I boarded the train, presuming it would give me an e-ticket, as it always has done over the last 2-3 years.

On arrival at Liverpool Central I tried to load my ticket QR code on the trainline app but then discovered it had only given me a collection number to collect the ticket. Of course this is my fault for not checking it beforehand. I presumed that Mersey rail would have technology for e-tickets.

At the barriers, I showed the operator my trainline booking and code. She let me through and pointed me in the direction of the ticket office to collect the ticket. I asked if she wanted to see the ticket and she sounded ambivalent. There was a long queue and no collection machines, and I didn't have long to get to Lime Street for my next train, so decided to leave. As I headed for the exit, a man in plain clothes approached and asked to see my ticket. He flashed a badge but I'm not sure if he was police or an RPO. I explained the situation but he took my details, read a caution, and issued me with a fine. Checking on the Mersey rail website, the cost is £125.

I understand that I didn't have a valid ticket, so I was right to be fined, and it seems a penalty fine would be fair (£100 or £50 if paid in 21 days, plus ticket price). From what I've read on: https://www.merseyrail.org/about-us/understanding-revenue-protection/, this isn't a penalty fine, but an out of court settlement for a prosecution.

I will pay the fine but my main questions are:
will that be the end of it after I have paid?
Will I be left with any criminal record as a result of this?

I also wondered if there is any reason they wouldn't have gone for a penalty fare but I don't think there's anything I can do about that now. I have never received any kind of fine on trains in the past. I've attached a copy of the slip of paper he gave me and he said I should also get something in the post.

Attachments

• 20240630_133528.jpg
    20240630_133528.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 61
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John R

Established Member
Welcome to the forum!

If you pay then that will be the end of it and you will not have a criminal record.

gray1404

Established Member
I would strongly advise you pay this. Merseyrail are very strong minded when it comes to insisting people pay these fake penalties they have started giving out on the spot and will most likely proceed to take the matter to court.

It would have been possible to collect your ticket form the booking office window at the station where you started the journey before you boarded the train. Also you were given an additional opportunity to collect the ticket on arrival at Liverpool Central. It really would have been worth waiting the que out.

Unfortunately you travelled without a valid ticket. I totally agree that Merseyrail should accept etickets but they don't.

You may however be able to refund the ticket you purchased on Trainline.

I was approached last week leaving Liverpool Central too. In my case I had come through the ticket barriers using my ticket. I went into the ticket office to buy a drink but the que was so long I decided to leave. I was asked for my ticket on leaving.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
You may however be able to refund the ticket you purchased on Trainline.
I don't think so: the OP hasn't been issued a penalty fare, so there's no fare included in the payment demanded.

Otherwise, I agree with the consensus: while Merseyrail's practice is sharp, it's not outside the rules and the best option is to pay up.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Merseyrail gave you an opportunity to regularise the situation by collecting your ticket, which they are not required to do, but you chose not wait. I would advise paying the penalty which closes the matter.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks for the advice, I've paid the fine. The ticket I purchased on trainline was only £2.90 so I'm not bothered about getting it refunded.
I'd just leave it uncollected. If Trainline happen to refund you that's on them.

I personally believe a penalty fare would have been the correct way to deal with this. However the matter has been brought to a close now. I don't think there is any point complaining to Merseyrail as they are quite militant in their replies.

Make sure you keep your copy of the notice and proof of payment.

Last edited: