• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Merseyrail Stations Parking (Hooton)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashworth

Established Member
Next month I will spending a few days on the Wirral and want to use the train to visit Liverpool, Chester, Southport etc. Although I'm staying at Neston, Hooton will be a more convenient station to use and I wondered what the parking situation was like there mid morning.
I know that there are approx 400 spaces but would I find spaces available mid morning. I didn't want to arrive there at about 10am and find that all the spaces were full from people commuting to Liverpool earlier in the day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Polarbear

Established Member
Hooton car park is huge & rarely (if ever) gets full. It's only about 70 pence for all day parking too.:D

Other stations with (free) car parks on the same line include Eastham Rake, Bromborough, Spital & Green Lane. However, these can & do get full by the end of the morning peak.

table38

Established Member
Never had a problem parking at Hooton, but sometimes I've been right down the end and had to leg it back to the station and over the footbridge :)

Wallasey Grove Road also seems to have a larger than I would have expected car park (168 spaces)

First class

Established Member
Park at Bidston if you base yourself in Neston! Free and car park is always empty.

ashworth

Established Member
Thanks everyone for the information.
I think Hooton will be ideal. I'm actually based at Burton, south of Neston, and so Hooton is very convenient. Bidston is quite a long drive. Also knowing the area around Bidston I think I would feel safer about leaving my car all day at Hooton. Perhaps that's why Bidston is always empty!

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Thanks everyone for the information.
I think Hooton will be ideal. I'm actually based at Burton, south of Neston, and so Hooton is very convenient. Bidston is quite a long drive. Also knowing the area around Bidston I think I would feel safer about leaving my car all day at Hooton. Perhaps that's why Bidston is always empty!

the B&Q giant store across the road warn people of the problem that blights the area.

nedchester

Established Member
Park at Eastham Rake; it's free.

On a separate note why is it that Merseyrail do not allow overnight parking. After all if someone drives to the station for a night out in Liverpool and then comes back unable to drive then why can they not pick it up the following day (when they are sober??)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Next month I will spending a few days on the Wirral and want to use the train to visit Liverpool, Chester, Southport etc. Although I'm staying at Neston, Hooton will be a more convenient station to use and I wondered what the parking situation was like there mid morning.
I know that there are approx 400 spaces but would I find spaces available mid morning. I didn't want to arrive there at about 10am and find that all the spaces were full from people commuting to Liverpool earlier in the day.

Oh and don't forget to buy a Day Saver rather than the Anytime returns for visiting Southport/Liverpool. £4.50 is a bargain. These tickets still not advertised at unmanned stations though (although they are available from the TVMs if you know what you are looking for)

First class

Established Member
Park at Eastham Rake; it's free.

On a separate note why is it that Merseyrail do not allow overnight parking. After all if someone drives to the station for a night out in Liverpool and then comes back unable to drive then why can they not pick it up the following day (when they are sober??)

I've answered this before.

1) To allow contractors/Network Rail etc have somewhere to park for any overnight works
2) To prevent various explicit activities that sometimes occur overnight in car parks.
3) As Merseyrail is primarily a commuter operator, to prevent people from parking up for ages on a long distance journey withholding the space from commuters. Imagine if Liverpool S Pkwy allowed overnight parking, everyone would park there for the airport.

THERE ARE SIGNS AT UNMANNED STATIONS FOR THE DAY SAVER! I know full well because they were printed in the same building where I work. A4 laminates with a specimen pic of the ticket.

Polarbear

Established Member
THERE ARE SIGNS AT UNMANNED STATIONS FOR THE DAY SAVER! I know full well because they were printed in the same building where I work. A4 laminates with a specimen pic of the ticket.

Sorry, but I can confirm that there are no such signs at Bache, nor have there been since the Daysaver was introduced.<D

I have previously raised this with Merseyrail & was told they would raise the issue with their marketing people, but I have yet to see anything tangeable!:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.