• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Metro-Vic D5705. A look at the restoration work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks to @Ash Bridge for putting me onto this. :)

There’s a YouTube video here giving a guided tour of the innards taken at the recent diesel gala at the ELR. Scroll through to about 3:45 for the class 28.

It’s amazing looking at the work they’ve been doing to get this complex machine up and running again. A truly remarkable survivor and I take my hat off to the people that have got it to this point where you can actually imagine it running again in the not too distant future…

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I watched this last week. It truly is a labour of love for those working on it. This and the 15 will be a massive draw once up and running.

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
It seems brave to try and restore a unique loco with a problematic engine back to full running order! I'm intrigued by this project and glad that one Class 28 survived. However I've seen it stated in several places that they weren't brilliant locos in service and latterly put on easy shifts, running in pairs. Seemingly the Crossley engines weren't up to snuff?

Towers

Established Member
It seems brave to try and restore a unique loco with a problematic engine back to full running order! I'm intrigued by this project and glad that one Class 28 survived. However I've seen it stated in several places that they weren't brilliant locos in service and latterly put on easy shifts, running in pairs. Seemingly the Crossley engines weren't up to snuff?
Well before my time, but did Crossley make anything that was any good? I recall hearing that their buses weren't much cop either!

D6968

Ahem… What about the Clayton? Although I believe the DTG have made some modifications to it to improve its reliability :D

Strathclyder

Established Member
Not that it matters much now the engine is away for rebuilding, Anthony P. Sayer's exhaustively researched book on the 28s makes mention - specifically, pages 159-160 for those who also have copies - of D5705 having a modified/strengthened version of the Crossley HST-V8 fitted during a extended stay (April-November 1967) at Crewe Works, specifically a redesigned crankcase. This was on top of the modifications undertook during the type's rehabilitation works at Dukinfield between May 1961 and March 1963. Presumably this was the reason D5705 was selected by the Research Division at Derby to provide the motive power for it's Tribology test train.

Ahem… What about the Clayton? Although I believe the DTG have made some modifications to it to improve its reliability :D
In a similar vein, West Australian Government Railways (WAGR) progressively modified the Crossley HST-V8s installed in their X class locos (built at Bowesfield between 1954-56, predating the Co-Bos by 2-4 years) at considerable finanical expense (in excess of 600 faults were apparently found with the locos as built, most of them centering on the Crossley unit). While done at great cost, it enabled the class to last in service until March 1988, though they never stopped smoking or throwing oil!

(WAGR/WestRail XA1408 leads a suburban passenger train past Rivervale, east of Perth, W. Australia - 3rd April 1986. Copyright of Flickr's 8888transportpix)

pdeaves

Established Member
Mindful that it's not my loco, not my money and not my effort (!), I would like to see the curved cab windows reinstated.

An aside: I scratch-built one of these in OO scale when at university as I couldn't afford a Hornby Dublo one. Multiple decades later, I still 'only' need to complete one bogie side frame and get it moving. The second part sounds like it's more realistic than I envisaged!

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
Well before my time, but did Crossley make anything that was any good? I recall hearing that their buses weren't much cop either!

I gather the bus engines were copies of another manufacturer's design. When the plagiarism was discovered they hastily redesigned some element of it to pass it as an original design. This redevelopment really dented the reliability of the design, which was prone to overheating as a result.

Bevan Price

Established Member
It should be OK if it sticks on heritage lines limited to 25 mph, but it would be a bad idea to let it loose on Network Rail.

Strathclyder

Established Member
It should be OK if it sticks on heritage lines limited to 25 mph, but it would be a bad idea to let it loose on Network Rail.
I beileve that is the plan, much like D8568 (and D8233 as well when it's restoration is finished I suspect). The only time it'll likely be seen on the mainline post-restoration is when it's in transit from one mainline-connected heritage line to another for a diesel gala or similar such events, though I wouldn't hedge my bets on that myself.

tumbles

I beileve that is the plan, much like D8568 (and D8233 as well when it's restoration is finished I suspect). The only time it'll likely be seen on the mainline post-restoration is when it's in transit from one mainline-connected heritage line to another for a diesel gala or similar such events, though I wouldn't hedge my bets on that myself.

Given its a unique, one left, it would seem silly to risk running it at higher stress on the mainline and risk any failure. I think the baby deltic group have said similar that they wouldn't want to risk it as they don't have another engine..

Strathclyder

Established Member
Given its a unique, one left, it would seem silly to risk running it at higher stress on the mainline and risk any failure. I think the baby deltic group have said similar that they wouldn't want to risk it as they don't have another engine..
I should've been clearer there. When I said 'in transit', I meant dead in tow behind another loco, a 66 for instance. Obviously, it'd be rather risky to punt it (or any another unique preserved diesel loco) out onto the mainline on it's own with all the increased chances of failure that entails. The groups in question are quite right/sensible in not wanting to take such a risk.

Last edited:

tumbles

I should've been clearer there. When I said 'in transit', I meant dead in tow behind another loco, a 66 for instance. Obviously, it'd be rather risky to punt it (or any another unique preserved diesel loco) out onto the mainline on it's own with the increased chances of failure that entails. The groups in question are quite right/sensible in not wanting to take such a risk.

Ah ok, certainly the 23 is going to be able to travel around. Hopefully the same for the 28/15. I'm looking forward to the unique's gala ft. 15, 17, 23, 28..any others?

thedbdiboy

This loco has been undergoing restoration since I was a teenager - a good few decades ago. It's going to be amazing to see it finished...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This loco has been undergoing restoration since I was a teenager - a good few decades ago. It's going to be amazing to see it finished...

Definitely.

I’ve always found this and D8233 fascinating and it’s amazing seeing the work the group are doing on both of the locos.

tumbles

I think fair to say the ELR will be packed the first weekend its out running and similar for the 15

Status
Not open for further replies.