• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

MG11

Status
Not open for further replies.

QWERTYUIOP

The other thing to add is for the OP to confirm that they gave their correct contact details (is this on the MG11?) to ensure any post goes to the correct address; if they are thinking of moving house, please ensure you set up a post redirection arrangement with the Royal Mail.
Yes the address on the mg11 was correct. Still waiting for the letter to arrive

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I am still waiting for a letter to arrive, however I am expecting to be written to and asked for my version of events.
Assuming this is the case, I have drafted the below. I would be grateful for any thoughts on the content. Thank you in advance

I am writing in response to your letter on xxxxxx regarding xxxxxx.
On xx/xx I was unable to produce a ticket covering my journey from xxxxx to xxxx, I had purchased a ticket from xxxx. This has also occurred on the following dates; xx/xx, xx/xx, xx/xx ……. I deeply regret making that decision and I apologise unreservedly for my actions.
I understand that fare evasion costs the railway a lot and I assume that investigating cases like my situation are also costly in staff time and I am truly sorry.
The prospect of a prosecution and criminal record is extremely worrying to me, as my work requires security clearances. If I were convicted, I would risk losing my job, which my family and I really rely on, particularly during these difficult times. I know I have acted incredibly stupidly and without thought for the consequences of my actions.
I hope you will consider an out of court settlement offer to resolve matters, taking in to account that this is my first (and last) offence. I would like to offer to pay the full amount due for my travel and any cost to you in dealing with my case.

I assure you that I will take the upmost care to ensure this situation does not occur again.
I've struck out some words that I wouldn't bother with. There's 2 reasons for this:
1) If you're lucky, the railway won't care - why should they take consequences into account when you have avoided paying the fare that you should?
2) If you're less lucky, they will care - and think that since you must have been aware of the possible consequences when you avoided the fare, then presumably you were willing to take those consequences and will now be prepared to suffer them.

The points that you are trying to convince the railway of are that
- they will not be financially out of pocket as a result of your actions, and
- they will not lose money in future by you repeating the actions

You risking losing your job isn't something that will impact on the railway's revenue, so mentioning it won't help them to believe that their financial position will be stronger as a result of allowing you a settlement out of court.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thank you.

Do you think my initial letter to them is the best time to include the line below about the additional occasions not previously disclosed?

"This has also occurred on the following dates; xx/xx, xx/xx, xx/xx ……. "
On the + side it shows you are honest enough to come clean (in your favour) without them having to ask more or check other records etc
on the -ve side it reveals/admits you were a repeat offender - and I am unsure if that prompts them towards greater likelihood of prosecution or not.

Others may be able to add a view on that.

FWIW I do agree with @Fawkes Cat edits for exactly the reasons stated.

Good luck with this and a good plan to get your draft prepped etc. I take it you are pretty sure you gave correct contact details etc for them to write to you, and they recorded the address etc accurately as far as you can be sure of course.

Last edited:

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Thank you.

Do you think my initial letter to them is the best time to include the line below about the additional occasions not previously disclosed?

"This has also occurred on the following dates; xx/xx, xx/xx, xx/xx ……. "
I can't advise anything other than total honesty: this is both a matter of principle and of practicality, as were the railway to find out at a later point that there were other occurrences that you hadn't mentioned then that would undermine their trust in you (and as I've implied previously, what you want to do is get the railway to trust you not to avoid fares again, so gaining and keeping their trust is important).

But it does seem to me that as @WesternLancer fears, this might move the railway more towards considering prosecution to be the best way forward. Even if they don't go that far, I would expect the introduction of a new and significant fact to lead to further questions (not least of which (and related to my previous point) would be 'are there any other occasions that you still haven't told us about?'). So you need to steel yourself for an ongoing correspondence with the railway.

SteveM70

Established Member
I am still waiting for a letter to arrive, however I am expecting to be written to and asked for my version of events.
Assuming this is the case, I have drafted the below. I would be grateful for any thoughts on the content. Thank you in advance

On xx/xx I was unable to produce a ticket covering my journey from xxxxx to xxxx, I had purchased a ticket from xxxx. This has also occurred on the following dates; xx/xx, xx/xx, xx/xx ……. I deeply regret making that decision and I apologise unreservedly for my actions.
I understand that fare evasion costs the railway a lot and I assume that investigating cases like my situation are also costly in staff time and I am truly sorry.
The prospect of a prosecution and criminal record is extremely worrying to me, as my work requires security clearances. If I were convicted, I would risk losing my job, which my family and I really rely on, particularly during these difficult times. I know I have acted incredibly stupidly and without thought for the consequences of my actions.
I hope you will consider an out of court settlement offer to resolve matters, taking in to account that this is my first (and last) offence. I would like to offer to pay the full amount due for my travel and any cost to you in dealing with my case.

I assure you that I will take the upmost care to ensure this situation does not occur again.

you can’t say “the is my first (and last) offence” and at the same time provide them with a list of other dates

QWERTYUIOP

True, what i want to get across is that I have never been in trouble on trains before

SargeNpton

Established Member
If the correspondence from the railway only mentions to one offence, I'd suggest sticking to that in your reply and then seeing what they want from you in terms of compensation. If, however, the letter implies that they think you've been doing it on more than one occasion that's when you should list all the other dates.

QWERTYUIOP

The letter does not contain any details. But I did tell the officer who questioned me I had done it before on one other occasion earlier in the same week

WesternLancer

Established Member
The letter does not contain any details. But I did tell the officer who questioned me I had done it before on one other occasion earlier in the same week
I think if you already told the staff verbally, it is best to follow through as you propose, since that allows them to compare the notes they may already have and see that you have persisted in being honest, not thought 'oh I might get away with just the one occasion' - but this is just my personal take. I have no detailed or inside knowledge....

Fare-Cop

Taking in to account comments, perhaps rephrasing as below may be better?

On xx/xx I was unable to produce a ticket covering my journey from xxxxx to xxxx, I had purchased a ticket from xxxx. I would like to openly admit that this has occurred between xx/xx - xx/xx on the following dates; xx/xx, xx/xx, xx/xx ……. I deeply regret this and I apologise unreservedly for my actions.
The prospect of a prosecution and criminal record is extremely worrying to me, I know I have acted incredibly stupidly and without thought for the consequences of my actions.
I hope you will consider an out of court settlement offer to resolve matters, taking into account that I have never been in any trouble with the railway before and am happy to co-operate fully with you. I would like to offer to pay the full amount due for my travel and any cost to you in dealing with my case.

That is a generally good letter in response

I would simply change the following: amend this sentence 'I would like to offer to pay the full amount due for my travel and any cost to you in dealing with my case'

to read; I would like to offer to pay the full fares due for my travel and any reasonably incurred costs that the rail company has suffered as a direct cause of dealing with my case.

Saying ANY cost might lead to a higher settlement than might otherwise be the case

Veteran Member

to read; I would like to offer to pay the full fares due for my travel and any reasonably incurred costs that the rail company has suffered as a direct cause of dealing with my case.
Agree, but pedantically, "cause" should be "result."

WesternLancer

Established Member

I would simply change the following: amend this sentence 'I would like to offer to pay the full amount due for my travel and any cost to you in dealing with my case'

Saying ANY cost might lead to a higher settlement than might otherwise be the case
I think the OP has posted that he has already sent his letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.