• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Most unrealistic model train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I used to have an HO French Jouef Pullman set & electric loco, not sure now what type it was but used it with my Hornby HST (which was itself those unrealistic short mk 3s!)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Probably running two HST power cars with 'Annie and Clarabell" in the middle to compromise with toddlers when I was working at a model railway exhibition.

GM078

Ten years ago my Bachmann CIÉ Maunsell K1 class (Irish version of the N class) 2-6-0 used to pull two Southern Region green mk1s until they brought out CIÉ liveried LMS style coaches. My Lima IÉ 201 class used to haul to BR Intercity liveried mk4s and a DVT in a "emulation" of the Die Dietrich stock on the Enterprise (oh how the Irish modelling scene has come on in the last decade).

Nigel Gresley

Whilst exhibiting a very accurate, prototypically correct German layout at the Dortmund Intermodellbau a few years ago, we let Thomas the Tank engine do some circuits to please some of the younger visitors.

Eng274

In the days when I owned a Hornby Trakmat Smokey Joe would often pull two Mk4s plus a DVT.

When my class 91 was O.O.S my dinky tank engine would very ably deputise for it when hauling 2 mk4s, a DVT, and four goods wagons smattered in between :lol:

And vice versa, sometimes I'd have the class 91 pulling a single flatbed wagon.

The LMS 0-4-0 tank engine (possibly HO scale?) looked very titchy when hauling 3 EWS HAA (00 scale) hopper wagons.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I used to have a Hornby Pacer that could get around tight bends without squealing...
Mine couldn't ;) It used to run just like the real thing, squeaked on corners and was lousy at getting away from a standing start :D I've since modified it though and it runs much smoother these days.

Even when I was a kid I can't recall running anything massively unprototypical, if you can excuse the running of steam locos alongside diesel and electric era locos when I was young and hadn't settled on a definite era or theme for my layout. Though of course there's no rule saying that you have to settle on a particular theme or era and follow prototypical practice, that's the joy of railway modelling!

I think one of the more peculiar ones was having a Hornby blue & grey mark 1 buffet in my Intercity Swallow liveried HST because I didn't have a suitable mark 3 buffet car, but that's something that actually did happen in the case of the prototype HST, so still nothing too far fetched.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The LMS 0-4-0 tank engine (possibly HO scale?) looked very titchy when hauling 3 EWS HAA (00 scale) hopper wagons.
If it is the Hornby "Caley Pug" (the 0-4-0 saddle tank design of which "Smokey Joe" is the long surviving example in the Hornby range) you are referring to, then it's still 00 scale, it's just that the prototype locomotives were diminutive in stature to begin with.

trc666

Has to be hands down the motored middle car of my Bachmann 159001 pulling a Hornby 'Arthur H. Stabler' wagon, two Hornby Freightliner wagons, a Lima Mk3 rail blue buffet, a Hornby GNER Mk4 TSO, a Hornby 'D.C.A.' wagon and Hornby dummy HST power car 43051. Also done Hornby rail blue 86219 sandwiched in the middle of the unpowered Bachmann 159001 driving cars. Kept derailing on the bends and pointwork :P

GM078

When my class 91 was O.O.S my dinky tank engine would very ably deputise for it when hauling 2 mk4s, a DVT, and four goods wagons smattered in between :lol:

It's a long time since I ran one but if I recall correctly the Hornby 0-4-0s were actually faster than the class 91s, Pacifics or just about anything else in the range. Why BR never considered retaining some Caledonian Pugs for use on expresses is beyond me. :D

Csalem

I have an IE 201 in EWS livery and numbered 69202. It either hauls RES Mark 1s or Virgin Mark IVs! I have a good imagination.

running a blue class 31 with two pre-grouping Great Eastern coaches; and running an IC 225 with a 91, DVT... and two trailers!

Bittern

Established Member
When I was a kid I used to have 0-4-0 Tank loco no. 9 in "British Railways" Apple Green hauling two InterCity Swallow-liveried or GNER liveried coaches.

When I was ten I had a BR blue HST set with one coach. I got a McVities wagon and a Texaco tank bought for me by my Grandad and I thought I'll put them in the HST set to make it longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.