• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Moving to Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

First class

Established Member
I noticed a job advert in a magazine recently, can't remember what is was, it was just lying around, but it was asking for UK rail staff to apply for various railway positions abroad in Australia.

I'm sure it was something like the Australia Railway Group or similar. I think I've found their website, but nothing mentioned like the advert.

Does anyone know whether these jobs are being advertised online? Secondly, the article said there would be an Recruitment Day in the North West... any idea what this date is? Nobody I've spoken to even knows about the advert!!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
see the current issue of RailNews there is an austrailian recruitment advert in there

O L Leigh

Established Member
There does appear to be a skills shortage on the Australian railways that they are attempting to fill by recruiting qualified staff from overseas.

There is nothing wrong in that if you're looking to emigrate anyway, but just be aware that (at least as far as my sources inform me) the Australian railways are very different to the UK railway, having more in common with US practices. Check carefully before you sign on the dotted line that you are completely happy with what they are offering you and what they expect in return.

Oh, and keep in touch. ;)

O L Leigh

First class

Established Member
Hi,

Thanks for the responses!

The rail news website had the some details in their recruitment section.

Is anyone able to tell me fundemental differences between the UK and Australian way of managing the railways? I wouldn't want to sign a contract and then find out that my skills, techniques and styles aren't much good in Australia.

I've also heard that they are offering drivers as much as (equivalent) £60,000. I also believe the Australian tax system can be more generous... around 30% taxation for salaries above A$180,000, (£90,000)

Status
Not open for further replies.