• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My fantasy 2013 rail journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlesden

(Assuming I had won the Lottery and was thus able to hire my own train)

I would choose a Class 180 set because (a) they look rather impressive and (b) I have never been on one.

My journey would begin at Willesden Junction HLL, proceeding via the NLL to work its way onto the ECML to proceed north to Peterborough. It would then turn off the ECML to proceed via Spalding and Sleaford to Lincoln for the final leg via Market Rasen and Barnetby to Grimsby Town.

Is such a non-stop direct journey feasible? My first choice would have been a 333 but that is an EMU.

On the return journey would it be feasible to follow the TPE Grimsby-Manchester route to join the WCML south? Is there anywhere to leave the main line to join the DC line south to Willesden Junction?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
My brother worked out it was possible, in theory perhaps, to travel from York to South Korea by train. He also suggests it is possible, again perhaps in theory, to get to the Kamchatka peninsula or even into Malaysia!

The only sea water you would cross would be the English Channel!

Now that would be some journey!

FenMan

Established Member
London - Beijing is easy enough if you have the stamina and the necessary visas.

Fancy leaving this Thursday?

Th, 03.01.13
London St. Pancras International - Dep: 15:04
Bruxelles-Midi Eurostar - Arr: 18:05
-----
Bruxelles-Midi - Dep: 18:26
Frankfurt(Main)Hbf - Arr: 21:30
-----
Frankfurt(Main)Hbf - Dep: 22:19
Sa, 05.01.13
Moskva Belorusskaja - Arr: 10:55
-----
Moskva Iaroslavskaja - Dep: 23:55
Sa, 12.01.13
Beijing - Arr: 05:46

Total journey time: 8 days 2 hours 42 minutes.

A bit of a tight change at Brussels Midi though!

LE Greys

Established Member
My brother worked out it was possible, in theory perhaps, to travel from York to South Korea by train. He also suggests it is possible, again perhaps in theory, to get to the Kamchatka peninsula or even into Malaysia!

Can you do so on the same train? I know you can do St Pancras to South Korea, provided you make two stops for bogie changes at either end of Russia. Question is, is there a British coach that can run on Russian bogies?

Jordeh

South Korea is one of the few places in Asia you can't travel by train to. For years now there's been no trains operating between North Korea and South Korea (and when they were, only Koreans would have been allowed on them anyway). You could get to North Korea via Beijing however (via Russia doesn't allow tourists).

Course this would involve two changes of gauge too.

Clip

Established Member
South Korea is one of the few places in Asia you can't travel by train to. For years now there's been no trains operating between North Korea and South Korea (and when they were, only Koreans would have been allowed on them anyway). You could get to North Korea via Beijing however (via Russia doesn't allow tourists).

Slightly OT me and the missus are saving to go to north korea in 2014. Been meaning to do it for years. Supposed to be an amazing trip.

craigwilson

These two guys tried getting into North Korea via Russia, and were successful, but (as they point out) you'd be unlikely to get away with it now!!

The forbidden railway: Vienna - Pyongyang 윈 - 모스크바 - 두만강 - 평양

t0ffeeman

I would choose a Class 180 set because (a) they look rather impressive and (b) I have never been on one.

My journey would begin at Willesden Junction HLL, proceeding via the NLL to work its way onto the ECML to proceed north to Peterborough. It would then turn off the ECML to proceed via Spalding and Sleaford to Lincoln for the final leg via Market Rasen and Barnetby to Grimsby Town.

Is such a non-stop direct journey feasible? My first choice would have been a 333 but that is an EMU.

On the return journey would it be feasible to follow the TPE Grimsby-Manchester route to join the WCML south? Is there anywhere to leave the main line to join the DC line south to Willesden Junction?

The journey to Grimsby would need a reversal at Lincoln. The journey back via the DC lines would need a shunt at Stockport plus another shunt to Watford Junction Plat 6 (Down Fast) to access the DC lines at Watford Junction.

Wath Yard

A fantasy journey that ends up in Grimsby! Oh dear. :lol:

Yes it is possible to join the DC lines at Watford Jnc. There is a connection only usually used by ECS workings.

gnolife

Established Member
The journey to Grimsby would need a reversal at Lincoln. The journey back via the DC lines would need a shunt at Stockport plus another shunt to Watford Junction Plat 6 (Down Fast) to access the DC lines at Watford Junction.

Or alternatively you can go via Newton-le-Willows and Warrington Bank Quay?

shedman

I'd take a 142 from Leeds to Kyle Of Lochalsh! To be honest I think it would be a sell out too

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'd take a 142 from Leeds to Kyle Of Lochalsh! To be honest I think it would be a sell out too

I'd maybe consider that on a 144, plus you'd potentially have 3 cars worth of seats to sell- or a bit of space for a mobile real ale bar as used on the Penistone Line music trains :D

My own fantasy journey is dependent on either of my ridiculous 5p accumulators on the New Years Day football paying off, and would would be a shortish rake of enclosed Mk1s/Mk2Bs (including a well-equipped buffet/bar car and a sleeper (if any Mk1 sleepers still exist) and preferably in blue/grey!) hauled by a variety of traction.

Monday: Starting early from Huddersfield P4 with a 37/4, I'd head via Denby Dale to Sheffield and over the Hope Valley line to Manchester Victoria, where there'd be a reversal for a trip up the ELR to Rawtenstall behind a 55. Another reversal with a 40 top&tailing the Deltic taking me back onto NR metals round the completed Todmorden Curve (might have to wait for this bit!) and over Copy Pit to Blackburn, where the Deltic takes over again up to Hellifield for a trip over to Morecambe. The 40 takes the lead to a reversal at Lancaster where the 55 once again takes charge to run up the Cumbrian Coast to Carlisle for an overnight.

Tuesday: Another 37/4 takes us down the S&C to York via Whitehall & Castleford (avoiding L**ds<D!) where 55002 is coupled to the front with the 37/4 being shunted to the rear before heading up the ECML to Aberdeen and on to Inverness. The 37 then heads up the Far North with a non-ETH classmate on the rear for reversals at Wick/Thurso. before overnighting at Georgemas.

Wednesday: A trip via reversal at Dingwall to Kyle with the 37s in the morning, before KOYLI takes us back down the Highland Main Line and the ECML to KX for an overnight.

Thursday: A 73 (maybe 2) then runs via the NLL and ELL (if permitted- WLL if not) for a trip to Brighton via Ashford and Hastings for an early finish to visit a friend. :D

Friday sees a 47-hauled trip along the West Coastway to Southampton and Salisbury where a 50 takes over for a trip to Newquay or Penzance (another 47 taking the lead from Exeter St David's).

Saturday We head back North behind the 50 via Taunton-Bristol-Severn Tunnel-Newport avoiding line to Hereford then to Birmingham New Street where 87002 takes over to whisk us to Liverpool Lime Street. A pair of 20s then drag us back to Stockport via Chat Moss & Oxford Rd where a 25/31/33 (whatever's available!) takes us home via Denton & the Standedge tunnels... :D:D:D

Last edited:

wensley

Established Member

A 180...last that far...not likely :lol:

On a more serious note that sort of journey should be possible, when you compare it to what some charter companies pull off!

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Apologies - i meant North Korea!

shedman

Why keep us all in suspense....why not give us all an exciting end to the story by telling us what happened to the 142 at the end of that journey in a marine location...:D:D

Haha, I'm sure many more would pay to see it happen!

Maybe a MerseyRail 142 could add to the fun of it! I was thinking about a 144 but I couldn't imagine sitting all that way on them horrible seats and not being able to see around you. Best of a bad bunch would have to be an ex NS one!

leshuttle

Just had a quick skim through this thread - something about going from London to South Korea and a Pacer? :D

Now that would be a true fantasy adventure!

ex-railwayman

A Pacer, no, no, no, you want to be in a Cravens Class 105, a proper DMU.

If I won the lottery, I'd buy a Class 40, and have it craned over the house into my back garden, what a sight to wake up to every morning for the rest of my life........

shedman

A Pacer, no, no, no, you want to be in a Cravens Class 105, a proper DMU.

If I won the lottery, I'd buy a Class 40, and have it craned over the house into my back garden, what a sight to wake up to every morning for the rest of my life........

That Mel (not sure of his last name .. Holly?) who lives near Stockport is selling his house with the cabs in the garden if you're interested!

Status
Not open for further replies.