• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express & The Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMGitsDAVE

Well, since National Express has lost one of its franchises, and is due to lose the next in 2011, what do you think the future holds for National Express?
- Perhaps Air-travel?
- Just coach?
- Concentrating on c2c?

Whats your opinion?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Cant say really, Would be intresting to see how they do as a FOC or as an Open access operator

mumrar

Established Member
Why does everyone insist on saying NatEx lost the Anglia franchise? They didn't. The option to extend the franchise from it's existing date of expiry has not been taken up. Therefore it will expire when it was meant to if they failed to get the extension. One of the prerequisites of the extension was that on November 14th 2009 they were still operating the East Coast franchise, that's why the government took control at 23:59 on 13th November. They failed to fulfill the requirements of the franchise extension, they are not 'losing' it as everyone seems keen to make out.

gingerheid

Established Member
I doubt air - that's a mugs game for people with money to burn, and NatExp don't have any.

I think just coach, if they manage to cling on.

OMGitsDAVE

I doubt air - that's a mugs game for people with money to burn, and NatExp don't have any.

I think just coach, if they manage to cling on.

I have a feeling this may happen, they were once coach - and they will go back to it. To be honest, their rail industry just competed with their coaches, and so were undercutting themselves.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Tube Lines, the maintenance company for part of the London Underground, said its Chief Executive Dean Finch has been offered the equivalent role at National Express Group PLC.

The bus and rail company has struggled to fill the CEO post after Richard Bowker resigned some five months ago. He announced his departure July 1, the same day the U.K. government stripped the company of its East Coast Franchise because it couldn't support it financially after building up debts of about GBP1 billion.

Finch, who has only been with Tube Lines for six months, is expected to make a decision whether to join National Express over the next week.

A spokeswoman for Tube Lines said that over those six months, Finch "has done a fantastic job steering the company through a critical time in the contract with London Underground, and has demonstrated great leadership.
"Tube Lines and its shareholders are keen to keep Dean as its chief executive."

Nat Ex would not confirm nor deny that Finch has been approached.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
New CEO has been confirmed today:-
[from Dow Jones]
"National Express Group PLC named Dean Finch as chief executive, filling a post that has remained vacant for over five months.

Finch, 43 years old, will join the company in early spring 2010. He is currently is chief executive of Tube Lines Ltd., a U.K. private finance initiative that is responsible for maintaining and upgrading half of the London Underground system. Finch, who has been with Tube Lines for only six months, had been given until Dec. 21 by his current employer to make a decision whether he would stay.
"

ivanhoe

Nat Express is a really strong coach and bus brand! Getting out of trains will be their salvation. I'm quite surprised on the number of people who actually travel by Nat Express Coach but it is cheap , cheerful, relatively safe and very uncomplicated. Speed is not an issue for the Passengers ! However, Nat Express are just building on the routes that were set up originally by the likes of Crosville, Ribble and Midland Red ( all pre NBC companies) and thus the culture of going by coach has been well established.

gingerheid

Established Member
I think their coach operations are in a precarious position too.

In many areas they can only run services that aren't journey time sensitive unless there's a really huge market (like Cambridge to London) as getting into London and certain other cities by road just takes soooo much longer than by rail that only people who really really want a competitive fare would use them. This immediately sets them on the back foot for trying to actually make money out the route, and is a situation that's getting worse every month that goes past. (Why would you use National Express from Essex to London?)

In addition, the strengths of being a near virtual operator are also weaknesses. Contractors could decide to try things out for themselves, to operate for a competing virtual operator that offered better terms, or even to unintentionally do stupid things and give them a bad reputation, ...

They are already coming against meaningful competition from Megabus, and First Greyhound are threatening to join in the party.

In recent years they have benefited from and expanded rapidly in an area that had the potential to be a huge strength for them; airport services. Not only are there are massively more people travelling to and from airports, but low cost airlines have ensured that these people are probably cost conscious, very likely arriving at the cheaper airports least well served by trains, and could even be arriving at antisocial times. In addition, the wide catchment area of an airport means that these people will be coming and going in all different directions 24 hours a day, in ways that it would be hard for a rail service to compete against.

An added bonus is that they can make these services premium services; people are not just going to airports whenever it's cheap; if they need to get there at 6am and leave at 2am that's what they need to do, and they'll pay for the privilege.

However with air passenger numbers now heading the other direction, this market may shrink. It would also not take much of a change in business model and direction for the likes of Megabus or First to start putting up some decent competition against airport services (though to compete really effectively both would need to change their strategy of trying to get advance bookings for particular services).

There's also constant rumblings that rail operators might threaten to get their act together and run a few more airport services.

Additionally, more people going to airports may be a blessing in disguise, as the low costs airlines these people are flying on must have caused Eurolines a lot of pain.

One think that I think is a potential opportunity for National Express is better local marketing. We all know who National Express are and what they do, and we all know that they probably run a bus from a mediumish sized town near us to London, or to an airport.

But they also run lots of other services that are harder to find out about. Because of the way their website and works and leaflets are set out you can't find out what routes they run good services on without searching for every journey you might make and usually being disappointed by a daft suggestion. If I pick up the all towns and cities leaflet, 80% of the journeys suggested in it will probably be stupid or ridiculously slow; I am not going to wait in Birmingham for 2 hours in the middle of the night in order to get anywhere!

As an example, I live in Cambridge. If I wasn't into transport then all I'd have noticed is that there are lots of buses to London and London airports; and if I pick up a leaflet these are the ones I'll see. Because they run at rush hour I might have also noticed buses that say Clacton or King's Lynn on them.

But when it actually comes to looking at the board on the bus stop and finding out about return journeys from their website; the surprise destination National Express run a good service at useful times and with not bad journey times and a competitive fare to is (or was) Nottingham. I'd have never known that. I always took the train there because I thought it was the only way.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The Cambridge-Stansted service is frankly mystifying as to why anyone uses it when trains are running- more expensive, a lot slower and no more frequent than the XC train service. Crazy.

gingerheid

Established Member
*Holds hand up* I can answer that one - I always use the bus for that journey :)

The bus service runs from a lot closer to the centre of Cambridge, runs all night, and is a little cheaper. It's also quite comfortable because the new coaches are lovely, because you'll definitely get a seat, and because you won't have to worry about your luggage and so on.

"No more frequent" cuts both ways - the train is also no more frequent!

On a straight comparison the journey time appears to be slower - 50ish min v 30ish min, but by the time you allow for getting to the railway station through bad Cambridge traffic and leaving enough time to catch the train, then depending on where you're coming from it can actually be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.