• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail Privilege Travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Following on from my thread about the TfL Privilege Ticket Authority Card (PTAC) I gather that these are not used by National Rail staff. What do National Rail staff have to obtain privilege rate travel?

It was stated in the first thread I created on this topic that TfL PTAC's were for retired staff. I had mine for most of my 42 years with London Transport and its successors although I think for the first few years of my employment they weren't called PTAC's and were (blue, I think) cardboard and had to be authorised yearly by you depot administration office.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fireftrm

Staff employed since 1997 who work more than 15 hours per week for a Rail Delivery Group member companies, the passenger train operating companies and some heritage railways, can get a Rail Staff Leisure Card, normally after a month's service, which allows tickets for leisure journeys at 75% discount, anytime/off peak/super off peak fares only. This is often referred to as a Priv (short for priviledge) and tickets purchased will show Priv or Staff Travel Card. There is no free travel. Teh same card is available for their partner and children under 18/dependants

Staff who were emplyed pre-1997 have a card with travel boxes, which they must date for use - these allow 48 hours free travel, the number of these boxes will depend upon their length of service and seniority, they can also purchase tickets at 75% discount. Rail Staff Leisure is not available to staff of freight operating companies, railway maintenance companies or Network Rail, though some of these staff may have been employed by British Rail prior to the 1997 privatisation and so still have their staff cards. Post-1997 staff lose their priviledge rights on retirement, or if they leave the railway.

RJ

Established Member
I started service after March 1996 so I have a Rail Staff Leisure Card which gives Priv rate travel.

Those who have safeguarded benefits have a Staff Travel Card.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Following on from my thread about the TfL Privilege Ticket Authority Card (PTAC) I gather that these are not used by National Rail staff. What do National Rail staff have to obtain privilege rate travel?

It was stated in the first thread I created on this topic that TfL PTAC's were for retired staff. I had mine for most of my 42 years with London Transport and its successors although I think for the first few years of my employment they weren't called PTAC's and were (blue, I think) cardboard and had to be authorised yearly by you depot administration office.

I suggest you have a read through this website - its fairly comprehensive regarding rail staff travel:

Rail Staff Travel​

Rail Staff Travel (RST) provides rail staff travel facilities for eligible Active and Retired Employees of the rail industry and eligible family members. RST is part of the Rail Delivery Group.

pdeaves

Established Member
Staff employed since 1997 who work more than 15 hours per week for a Rail Delivery Group member companies, the passenger train operating companies and some heritage railways, can get a Rail Staff Leisure Card, normally after a month's service, which allows tickets for leisure journeys at 75% discount, anytime/off peak/super off peak fares only. This is often referred to as a Priv (short for priviledge) and tickets purchased will show Priv or Staff Travel Card. There is no free travel. Teh same card is available for their partner and children under 18/dependants

Staff who were emplyed pre-1997 have a card with travel boxes, which they must date for use - these allow 48 hours free travel, the number of these boxes will depend upon their length of service and seniority, they can also purchase tickets at 75% discount. Rail Staff Leisure is not available to staff of freight operating companies, railway maintenance companies or Network Rail, though some of these staff may have been employed by British Rail prior to the 1997 privatisation and so still have their staff cards. Post-1997 staff lose their priviledge rights on retirement, or if they leave the railway.
I think your references to 1997 should be 1994 (not that it changes the gist of the message).

Dstock7080

Established Member
TfL PTACs are also for active Staff still in service, who, as said above started before 1996.
The previous blue cards were also called Privilege Ticket Authority Cards (I still have mine from 2001-2003) and were indeed authorised by Admin staff.

Andrew1395

OK; in that era I was in a non-TOC bit of ex-BR that seemed to work to a 1994 cut-off.
If you were employed by British Rail on or before 31 March 1996 your staff travel facilities were safeguarded. If you worked for a subsidiary of BR privatised prior to that you got a different travel offer. As Railtrack was created out of BR and (I think was a subsidiary of BR) shares not sold until May 1996. I believe the 31 March 1996 date applied to Railtrack staff employed by it at that date.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
A box’s 48 hours validity is a very simplistic view. It’s valid on the day entered and the day after, or if catching an overnight service it’s valid from 2200 the day prior to that entered. So if you date it at 1500 on day 1 it wouldn’t run out at 1459 on day3 it runs out at 0429 on day 3

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think your references to 1997 should be 1994 (not that it changes the gist of the message).
Pensions rights are dependent on whether you were working for BR on 4 November 1993. However travel rights are dependent on whether you were working in the industry on 31 March 1996.

So in theory, you could have joined one of the newly privatised TOCs in February or March 1996, and would still have safeguarded travel facilities!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Somewhat related but don't GTR also have a PTAC similar scheme for Underground travel as some sort of reciprocal agreement?

Andrew1395

Pensions rights are dependent on whether you were working for BR on 4 November 1993. However travel rights are dependent on whether you were working in the industry on 31 March 1996.

So in theory, you could have joined one of the newly privatised TOCs in February or March 1996, and would still have safeguarded travel facilities!
That’s not correct. The safeguarding promise only applied to BR employees. Anyone joining a privatised part of BR would not get safeguarded travel. The only exception would be if they had worked for BR without interruption before joining their newly privatised employer, and it had a staff travel agreement in place with RST Ltd (itself a subsidiary of BR), which included a mobility clause permitting it to offer safeguarded travel facilities to a new employee who had enjoyed them through continuous service with BR.

Anyone joining a privatised business “off the street” could not receive safeguarded travel.

fireftrm

Yes apologies it was 1996, 31/03/96 so anyone after that is not safeguarded and doesn't get the free travel, though most train operating companies give their own staff free travel, which also applies to other TOCs they operate, such as Great Western Railway / TransPennine / South Western Railway as they are all First Group

RJ

Established Member
Somewhat related but don't GTR also have a PTAC similar scheme for Underground travel as some sort of reciprocal agreement?

Yes, along with some LNER staff and Eurostar staff. The PTAC is bright yellow and endorsed TfL Rail Only. In return TfL staff get free travel on GTR between London Bridge/Elephant and Kentish Town, Priv rate season tickets on GTR and LNER and a fantastic discount on Eurostar.

Falcon1200

Established Member
A box’s 48 hours validity is a very simplistic view. It’s valid on the day entered and the day after, or if catching an overnight service it’s valid from 2200 the day prior to that entered. So if you date it at 1500 on day 1 it wouldn’t run out at 1459 on day3 it runs out at 0429 on day 3

That's not how I understand it; There is no time entered in a box, just the date, and no matter what time the box is dated on Day 1 it will always expire at 2359 on Day 2.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
That's not how I understand it; There is no time entered in a box, just the date, and no matter what time the box is dated on Day 1 it will always expire at 2359 on Day 2.
Nothing expires at 2359 the end of a days service is 0429 the next day. My point was because no time is entered in a box it can't last 48 hours.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Nothing expires at 2359 the end of a days service is 0429 the next day. My point was because no time is entered in a box it can't last 48 hours.
Not only that, it can last as much as 54.5 hours.

Falcon1200

Established Member

When a day's service ends is irrelevant; I quote from the letter sent along with my 2021/22 Staff Travel Card Issue;

'Each box allows free travel up to midnight on the following day (If making an overnight journey the box may be used from 2200 on the preceding day)'.

So one box can in certain circumstances last an absolute maximum of 50 hours; But cannot run into a third day after the date written.

Elecman

Established Member
When a day's service ends is irrelevant; I quote from the letter sent along with my 2021/22 Staff Travel Card Issue;

'Each box allows free travel up to midnight on the following day (If making an overnight journey the box may be used from 2200 on the preceding day)'.

So one box can in certain circumstances last an absolute maximum of 50 hours; But cannot run into a third day after the date written.
The train you catch has to depart before 23.59 but the box is valid until 04.29 if any train ran till that time, exactly the same as any public ticket in the same way

Status
Not open for further replies.