• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nene Valley Railway - Lineside Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawallace

Would someone be able to tell me of any good lineside locations and how to reach them.

I will be travelling by train - so will not have my car with me!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NIMBUS

From Peterborough Nene Valley there is a foot/cycle path, running the length of the line to Orton Mere station. There are a few good spots along that section, the best of which is probably at Longville Junction, where the main line connection joins and the line runs as parallel single tracks into Orton Mere station. The shot from the south side, looking towards Orton Mere is a particular favorite of mine.

Beyond Orton Mere the foot/cycle path continues but the line beyond the foot crossing is fully obscured by a thick band of trees. At Yacht Club Crossing the cycle/footpath crosses the railway, which is also a good spot. From there to Ferry Meadows station (and beyond) there are not any particularly good spots until you reach Lynch Bridge, where the railway crosses the River Nene for the first time. All of this is in the Nene Park, which has numerous walking routes that make most of the railway accessible.

After Lynch Bridge there are a few more locations, such as Castor, but these really need vehicle access as they are a good walk from Ferry Meadows station. On the approach to Wansford the line crosses the River Nene again and there are a number of good spots alongside the river and on the bridge, all accessible from Wansford station.

From Wansford the line is in a cutting, runs under the A1 and through a tunnel, emerging just short of Yarwell Junction station. The latter is adjacent to a nature reserve and there are a few good spots where you can get pictures of loco run-rounds - although on gala weekends it is normal to attach a loco at the opposite end of the train and detach the trailing loco when the train gets back to Wansford.

HTH

12CSVT

Established Member
If you don't want to walk too far from one of the NVR stations, just cross the road outside Wansford station and you've got a good vantage point for trains crossing the river bridge

cksteam

If you don't want to walk too far from one of the NVR stations, just cross the road outside Wansford station and you've got a good vantage point for trains crossing the river bridge

From Wansford there is a path that follows the line side by side for quite a way. The path will take you to Ferry Meadows station if you walk the whole distance, but should you only want a short walk, it stays lineside up till just before the Sutton Cross mail exchange.

When I took my last gallery, most of the photos were from around Wansford with a few from this path. Wansford itself provides enough variety for most.

http://chriskempster.zenfolio.com/p893671271

Status
Not open for further replies.