• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network South East area covered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
While I am aware of the area covered for the Great Northern, West Anglia, Great Eastern, South Central, South West, C2C, Thameslink and South East I am stuck on how far they managed stations on the Chiltern lines, Euston lines and on the Great Western.

Anyone confirm how far the area went on these lines in terms of managing the stations concerned?

And yes I am using railwaycodes.co.uk which is helping but I still need some help to fill in the blanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Roade, Banbury and Bedwyn, plus somewhere between Oxford and Worcester - I haven't any definite info, but possibly Moreton in Marsh?

Sorry, Roade was long closed - Long Buckby was what I meant :(

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This has got me trying to remember where NSE started on the West of England route? I'm pretty sure that at first the tide of red lampposts finished at either Honiton or Pinhoe before it was decided to include Exeter Central in the network.

AM9

Veteran Member
This has got me trying to remember where NSE started on the West of England route? I'm pretty sure that at first the tide of red lampposts finished at either Honiton or Pinhoe before it was decided to include Exeter Central in the network.
I think,that it was Pinhoe. Going clockwise from the Thames, I remember it as all lines as far as Weymouth (SR), then Pinhoe, Bedwyn, Reading?, Banbury, Roade, Bedford, Huntingdon, Cambridge and Colchester North.
I remember travelling on the second or third Network Day to Exeter St David's (from Fareham).

Aictos

Established Member
So is it safe to say that stations that the present day Network Railcard is valid to came under NSE management?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think,that it was Pinhoe. Going clockwise from the Thames, I remember it as all lines as far as Weymouth (SR), then Pinhoe, Bedwyn, Reading?, Banbury, Roade, Bedford, Huntingdon, Cambridge and Colchester North.
I remember travelling on the second or third Network Day to Exeter St David's (from Fareham).
Yes I think you're right AM9.
I seem to remember on the second Network Day having to buy a return Exeter st David's to Pinhoe ticket, but charging through Pinhoe station non stop early in the morning and then late at night.

Veteran Member
So is it safe to say that stations that the present day Network Railcard is valid to came under NSE management?

Not quite, but almost. AM9's list shows the cutoff points (he's copied my mistake upthread of Roade - it should be Long Buckby) except for the Worcester line (see my post, no-one has come up with the answer yet).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Not quite, but almost. AM9's list shows the cutoff points (he's copied my mistake upthread of Roade - it should be Long Buckby) except for the Worcester line (see my post, no-one has come up with the answer yet).
I'm not sure that any of the Worcester line was under Network Southeast control.
I thought it covered Oxford station and the Thames route but nothing west from there?

Ken H

On Moderation
I'm not sure that any of the Worcester line was under Network Southeast control.
I thought it covered Oxford station and the Thames route but nothing west from there?
wasnt it a Regional railways route operated by NSE under some agreement? Seem to remember its first generation DMUs were 155's before the 165/166's came.

davetheguard

Established Member

Cowley is right, it didn't cover the Oxford to Worcester Cotswold Line at all in Network South East days. After privatisation, the now long defunct Thames Trains TOC extended the Network Card area to cover the line as far as Worcester. It also introduced Network South East style fares to the line: One Day Travelcards etc.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cowley is right, it didn't cover the Oxford to Worcester Cotswold Line at all in Network South East days. After privatisation, the now long defunct Thames Trains TOC extended the Network Card area to cover the line as far as Worcester. It also introduced Network South East style fares to the line: One Day Travelcards etc.
Interesting, thanks for that.

Bedpan

Established Member
In terms of where Network South East went (and where you could go on an NSE day, Cambridge to Kings Lynn and Colchester North to Clacton/Walton on Naze were also included. I appreciate that the thread is about NSE managed stations, but I can't think who would have managed the stations particularly to Walton/Clacton if not NSE. (Also, Reading - Oxford was included in the NSE area).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In terms of where Network South East went (and where you could go on an NSE day, Cambridge to Kings Lynn and Colchester North to Clacton/Walton on Naze were also included. I appreciate that the thread is about NSE managed stations, but I can't think who would have managed the stations particularly to Walton/Clacton if not NSE. (Also, Reading - Oxford was included in the NSE area).
All this talk of NSE makes me want to crack out my tin of red Dulux and paint the lampposts outside my house...

AM9

Veteran Member
Yes of course, I was including the Clacton branch including St Botolphs (still 309s on the through trains in those days - some in 'jaffa cakes' livery.). The GEML beyond there wasn't included as istr that only lhcs Norwich services went to Manningtree and beyond in 1986.

AM9

Veteran Member
Yes on second thoughts, I think Oxford was the limit. I did both Oxford and Cambridge in one Network Day from Fareham. Not as easy as it sounds, especially when some of the trains were packed. The first Network Day I did MK, Marston Vale to Bedford, back to Kings Cross then Huntingdon, from Fareham. The CIGs and REPs leaving Waterloo were absolutely packed, more than peak hour trains!

Ken H

On Moderation
Yes on second thoughts, I think Oxford was the limit. I did both Oxford and Cambridge in one Network Day from Fareham. Not as easy as it sounds, especially when some of the trains were packed. The first Network Day I did MK, Marston Vale to Bedford, back to Kings Cross then Huntingdon, from Fareham. The CIGs and REPs leaving Waterloo were absolutely packed, more than peak hour trains!
wasnt oxford - banbury NSE?

davetheguard

Established Member
All this talk of NSE makes me want to crack out my tin of red Dulux and paint the lampposts outside my house...

Mr Cowley, I take it you know the rhyme....?

"Chris Green called his painters and said:
I want all my trains to be red
But they waited in vain for the scheduled train
So they painted the lampposts instead!"

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Mr Cowley, I take it you know the rhyme....?

"Chris Green called his painters and said:
I want all my trains to be red
But they waited in vain for the scheduled train
So they painted the lampposts instead!"
I hadn't heard that but I like it. :smile:

Veteran Member
Thanks, that explains why Google Images (station name + nse) didn't throw up anything for the OW&W aka Cotswold Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.