• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Career (help needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyB16

Hi All

It's my first time of writing on here and are just wanting some advice and information. I would really like to have a career in the rail industry, as it is something that really interests me and I think I have all the talent to get into this industry.

I am a 23 year old male who currently works in a leisure centre. It's not what I want to do for the rest of my life and really want to get Into the rail industry. I'd most like to be a train driver in the end and that is my goal but I know I've got more chance if I did something else in a company and make my way up. I wouldn't might being a conductor or working in the station for a company.

Just want to know what TOC are looking for in candidates? What are the chances of me getting into the industry, (I live just outside of Leeds so either northern rail or FTPE are my preferred choice of TOC) how often do TOC's hire? And just general questions like that, that will help me to get my foot in the rail industry!

Thanks very much and any information will be greatly received

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TDK

Established Member
Hi All

It's my first time of writing on here and are just wanting some advice and information. I would really like to have a career in the rail industry, as it is something that really interests me and I think I have all the talent to get into this industry.

I am a 23 year old male who currently works in a leisure centre. It's not what I want to do for the rest of my life and really want to get Into the rail industry. I'd most like to be a train driver in the end and that is my goal but I know I've got more chance if I did something else in a company and make my way up. I wouldn't might being a conductor or working in the station for a company.

Just want to know what TOC are looking for in candidates? What are the chances of me getting into the industry, (I live just outside of Leeds so either northern rail or FTPE are my preferred choice of TOC) how often do TOC's hire? And just general questions like that, that will help me to get my foot in the rail industry!

Thanks very much and any information will be greatly received

Danny, your first move would be to get onto the TOC's mailing list that have depots within 1 hour of your home and apply for what you want to do. If you want to be a driver apply for this first and if unsuccessful apply for something different. When you say you have all the talent it is not talent that you need but experience in certain fields such as experience in shifts, spent a lot of time alone (driver), experience in adhering to strict rules and regulations, experience in customer service, experience in handling money (guard/ticket office) and many more. Have a look at the top thread on this section of the forum and see what qualities and experience are required for a drivers position, if you have them go for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.