• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Retro Railtours HST Charter (24/8)

CDM Transport

On Moderation
Hello everyone,

I have received word that Retro Railtours have opened a charter for booking using what looks like a 125 group HST set.

Link:
The special train will depart from Crewe and stations in Cheshire and Greater Manchester, before travelling over the Pennines to Huddersfield and Wakefield. The train will then cruise along the East Coast Mainline towards Edinburgh Waverley. Once the stomping ground of the legendary Intercity 125 train, these British Rail icons have been consigned to the history books on mainline services, so this is a very rare opportunity to sample one at high speed.

This railtour picks up at places like Crewe and the Pennines before joining the ECML presumably around York and then will go up to Edinburgh where it will terminate to let passengers have a 4 hour break!

This railtour is running on Saturday the 24th of August 2024

Caleb

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
For what it's worth, I've booked a table for 4 for some non-railway friends (who just happened to be with me when I got the notification email a couple of days ago) and my better half, it looks like a nice day out. Also booked lunch in a nice restaurant we found by chance in January but had to squeeze in. That plus a little sight-seeing tourism should make for a good day out. I've actually not used the ECML for quite a while now, so it'll make a nice change.

Good memories of cycling around Cornwall in 1979 looking for “nice” trains with Class 50s and avoiding the new HST things …. that was a few years ago!

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Looks an interesting one- a HST across the Pennines is a bit different and it will be nostalgic having one on the Northern ECML. Edinburgh is also a popular destination with a lot to offer so I think this one should do well.

When did a HST last call at Wakefield Kirkgate?

anothertyke

Looks an interesting one- a HST across the Pennines is a bit different and it will be nostalgic having one on the Northern ECML. Edinburgh is also a popular destination with a lot to offer so I think this one should do well.

12/8/23 Midland Pullman?

tynesider

On a service train, perhaps:
27/12/14 - 1A63 11:20 Bradford Interchange - Finsbury Park
28/12/14 - 1A83 11:17 Bradford Interchange - Finsbury Park

There is a BIT of winning HST track on this for me but nowhere near enough for the ching, to many other tours that are in the air but not released yet, think I'll just sit tight, no way this will sell out anyway lots of seats on those MK3s