• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NHS covid app to process data including political alignment & union membership - Will also be used as right to work/rent document

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I found out yesterday, in a totally not authoritarian turn, that since the 20th of December, the covid app can process;
  • Your race
  • Your political opinions
  • Your religion and beliefs
  • Your membership of a union
  • Your sexuality
This is the tweet that caused me to find out about it https://twitter.com/l3onx/status/1475758427213336579
BREAKING: NHS app used for Covid domestic and travel passes now collects data on mental health, social circumstances, political opinions, lifestyle, alleged criminal convictions and will be used as identity document for “right to work” and “right to rent”
This is the government website on the app https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...essing-of-special-categories-of-personal-data
As part of the Department of Health and Social Care’s (DHSC, we or us) statutory functions we process special category of data as part of providing the NHS COVID-19 app. Special Category of Data is defined by Article 9 of the General Data Protection Regulations (‘GDPR’) and Schedule 1 of the Data Protection Act 2019 (‘DPA 2018’). We process the special category of data was process in accordance with the requirements set by the law. We do not process any criminal offence data, as defined by this legislation. ...

Data held only on the app on your phone will include:

• Data concerning health – such as your COVID-19 test result and your isolation status
  • Venue details held only on your phone, might be indicative of other special categories of data. However, these details are only stored in your app. The summary or count included in the analytical data set does not include these details.
For example, a venue may indicate:

• Racial or ethnic origin;
  • Political opinions;
  • Religious or philosophical beliefs;
  • Trade union membership;
  • Data concerning a natural person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
  • However, our systems cannot access or process this data we note it here to support transparency.
The central systems that we use to update app users’ processes COVID-19 test results for app users and enables the app to update their status. In order to ensure that the correct results are returned to the correct use we treat this as personal data, though we protect the identity of the app user (through pseudonymisation in GDPR terms) and promptly delete the data from our systems. So, for the central system we process:

• Data concerning health – such as your COVID-19 test result
The analytical data set, submitted every 6-hours, is managed to ensure that app users cannot be identified.
Of course, they claim to be unable to access this information. Appears that we're heading towards a papers please society by stealth. So much for Boris being against ID cards...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sounds more like someone realised that by using it as a domestic vaccine passport they better cover their backsides from a Data Protection angle and put a warning that it might, by virtue of being used at venues such as "The Anytown Conservative Club" or "Anycity Gay Bar", be also processing special category data by a process of elimination (individual goes to a Conservative Club, there's a reasonable chance they might be Tory!). I'm also struggling to see where it comes in as a "right to work/rent" document?

Stephen42

Sounds more like someone realised that by using it as a domestic vaccine passport they better cover their backsides from a Data Protection angle and put a warning that it might, by virtue of being used at venues such as "The Anytown Conservative Club" or "Anycity Gay Bar", be also processing special category data by a process of elimination (individual goes to a Conservative Club, there's a reasonable chance they might be Tory!). I'm also struggling to see where it comes in as a "right to work/rent" document?
Agree, the document says it only stores venue data which may *indicate* special category rather than processing or storing any of the special categories themselves. Check-in data is wiped within 21 days so it's not held long term.

It's also not new, the language in the document has been there since at least Oct 2020 according to the wayback machine (link is archived version of page with same content as first post).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And an even higher chance that they might like cheap beer!
:lol:

It's obviously an imprecise science! For instance I'm far and away from being a Tory but if I wanted to attend my local rail user group that would mean going to the local Conservative Club (or at least pre-Covid it would) as that's where it was hosted.

But I can see why someone in the Civil Service might have realised that some backside covering might be wise from a Data Protection point of view. Or it's a massive conspiracy to track us at all times.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I found out yesterday, in a totally not authoritarian turn, that since the 20th of December, the covid app can process;
  • Your race
  • Your sexuality
This is the tweet that caused me to find out about it https://twitter.com/l3onx/status/1475758427213336579

This is the government website on the app https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...essing-of-special-categories-of-personal-data

Of course, they claim to be unable to access this information. Appears that we're heading towards a papers please society by stealth. So much for Boris being against ID cards...
I think two separate apps have been confused here. The NHS Covid-19 app is the track and trace one that uses Bluetooth to determine if your phone has been in close proximity with that of another user who subsequently reports a positive test, then pings you. It can also be used to check into a hospitality venue using a QR code, for track and trace purposes.

Vaccination status and test results are available only on the separate NHS app, which also provides you with access to all your other medical records. It is this app, not the Covid one, which can be used as a vaccine passport.

duncanp

Established Member
  • Your race
  • Your sexuality

Who remembers the episode of Yes Minister entitled Big Brother, where they talked about the National Integrated Database, which did much the same thing as described above?

We laughed at that and thought it could never happen in real life, just as we laughed at another episode of Yes Minister where they built a brand new hospital that didn't have any patients in it.

Surely a brand new hospital with no patients in it is just a joke.....

Oh, wait...

bramling

Veteran Member
We laughed at that and thought it could never happen in real life, just as we laughed at another episode of Yes Minister where they built a brand new hospital that didn't have any patients in it.

Surely a brand new hospital with no patients in it is just a joke.....

We managed to do better than that, there was more than one Nightingale Hospital IIRC?!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
We managed to do better than that, there was more than one Nightingale Hospital IIRC?!
Ten!

LocationBeds
Glasgow SEC
1,000​
Sunderland
460​
Harrogate Convention Centre
500​
Manchester Central
750​
Belfast City Hospital
230​
Birmingham NEC
4,000​
Bristol UWE
1,000​
Cardiff Principality Stadium
Exeter
160​
London Excel
4,000​

ExRes

Established Member
By an amazingly intelligent brainstorming event with my daughters chihuahua we've discovered the answer that will put all conspiracy theorists in a lighter frame of mind

Don't download these apps if you don't like other people knowing your business and don't want your life crippled

There now, you can send donations for our services direct to Battersea Dogs Home

Status
Not open for further replies.