• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North East Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarbear

Established Member
Hello

I'm trying to establish the full validity of the NE explorer.

The website http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/explorer-ticketsshows a list of participating operators as below;

Arriva North East
Go North East
Shields Ferry
Stagecoach North East
Travelsure
Tyne & Wear Metro
Weardale Motor Services

I'm aware that there are other bus operators in the North east & I am thinking of a trip to Wooler in the near future, but none of the listed operators seem to go there.

Am I correct in thinking that the NE explorer is only valid on the listed operators, or are some of the smaller operators also included, but just not listed?

Mod's I've posted this in the Buses section as it's rail use is limited, but feel free to move.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plcd1

Hello

I'm trying to establish the full validity of the NE explorer.

The website http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/tickets/explorer-ticketsshows a list of participating operators as below;

Arriva North East
Go North East
Shields Ferry
Stagecoach North East
Travelsure
Tyne & Wear Metro
Weardale Motor Services

I'm aware that there are other bus operators in the North east & I am thinking of a trip to Wooler in the near future, but none of the listed operators seem to go there.

Am I correct in thinking that the NE explorer is only valid on the listed operators, or are some of the smaller operators also included, but just not listed?

Mod's I've posted this in the Buses section as it's rail use is limited, but feel free to move.

It's been a while since I've used one but I believe it is the case that the Explorer is only valid on the operators listed. Travelsure operate some journeys on the 470 between Alnwick and Wooler and they're in the Explorer scheme. As with any journey in rural Northumberland you'll need to do your planning.

I've heard rumours that some small operators charge an "add on" fare, lower than the usual fare, if you present an Explorer but never ever seen any company formally advertise this on their website or timetables. Unfortunately that means forking out extra cash if you have to use an operator not in the Explorer scheme. Long gone are the days when United and Northern provided a reasonably decent rural network. :(

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It's been a while since I've used one but I believe it is the case that the Explorer is only valid on the operators listed. Travelsure operate some journeys on the 470 between Alnwick and Wooler and they're in the Explorer scheme. As with any journey in rural Northumberland you'll need to do your planning.

I've heard rumours that some small operators charge an "add on" fare, lower than the usual fare, if you present an Explorer but never ever seen any company formally advertise this on their website or timetables. Unfortunately that means forking out extra cash if you have to use an operator not in the Explorer scheme. Long gone are the days when United and Northern provided a reasonably decent rural network. :(

Tbf, Northern weren't that rural an operator; with the Hexham routes, they're probably more now than ever! However, I've done the old 464/473 routes on a United LH or two (as I'm sure you have) and past the small Wooler depot.

I thought Weardale had now exited the Explorer NE scheme? There was a policy (but was almost a secret) that you could use any NCC tendered service and so Glen Valley 267 was valid but I think that's been discontinued now.

Kuyoyo

Tbf, Northern weren't that rural an operator; with the Hexham routes, they're probably more now than ever! However, I've done the old 464/473 routes on a United LH or two (as I'm sure you have) and past the small Wooler depot.

I thought Weardale had now exited the Explorer NE scheme? There was a policy (but was almost a secret) that you could use any NCC tendered service and so Glen Valley 267 was valid but I think that's been discontinued now.

Weardale have pulled out of the scheme.

Polarbear

Established Member
Thanks all for the information & updates. I'm up in the north east over the weekend 6 & 7 February so will post back afterwards to let everyone know how I get on.

Cheers :D

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It's a bit of a mess with the independents getting more tendered services these days. It used to be (secretly) valid on Northumberland tendered services, but I don't think it is anymore (GrandWazoo thinks the same). It is still valid on Nexus tendered services IIRC. If you have a bit of time it's probably worth ringing or emailing Glen Valley to confirm, as they're the ones who run most of the buses to Wooler these days.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's a bit of a mess with the independents getting more tendered services these days. It used to be (secretly) valid on Northumberland tendered services, but I don't think it is anymore (GrandWazoo thinks the same). It is still valid on Nexus tendered services IIRC. If you have a bit of time it's probably worth ringing or emailing Glen Valley to confirm, as they're the ones who run most of the buses to Wooler these days.

Good advice. I never tried it on Snaiths or Tyne Valley so don't know if they ever did accept them!

TBF, Snaith's shenanigans and TV's receding means that there are some places that do allow you to travel with GNE - done the run to Bellingham, Consett to Hexham is a spirited run and so is Allenheads.

Perhaps the one firm who you'd like in the scheme now (other than Weardale) would be Scarlet Band?

BTW - I remember in the old days of regulation when you weren't allowed journeys wholly within Tyne and Wear :( Those days of the NBC, you could (and I did) travel to Hull with a United Explorer (Darlington to Northallerton to Ripon to York to Hull to Scarborough to Middlesbrough to Darlington)!

At least in more recent times, Stagecoach joined the scheme so large bits of the North East were included for the first time and some lost links (when territories were divied up like Stockton to Hartlepool) came back into the ENE scheme. Also, after United sold Ripon depot, you could still use an Explorer ticket on the 36 and 56/57 despite them being wholly Blazefield but that's long since gone!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Consett to Hexham is a spirited run

Used to be more fun when it was Stanley Taxis using a clapped out old Beaver :lol:

Perhaps the one firm who you'd like in the scheme now (other than Weardale) would be Scarlet Band?

I used to do a lot of travelling in North Yorkshire on the NE Explorer, Arriva pretty much withdrawing south of Darlington is a big loss. Procter's accepting it would be nice.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Used to be more fun when it was Stanley Taxis using a clapped out old Beaver :lol:

I used to do a lot of travelling in North Yorkshire on the NE Explorer, Arriva pretty much withdrawing south of Darlington is a big loss. Procter's accepting it would be nice.

To be honest, even Proctors are now becoming a bit thin on the ground with all of the NYCC budget cuts. There isn't that much at all south of Darlington.

They're now transferring the Wensleydale services to NYCC in-house or community buses. The 54 is getting chopped between Richmond and Kirkby Fleetham too. So it's the 159 and 70/72 (plus the 73 to Bedale). These are grim times - that said, NYCC was always crap with public transport.

Zamracene749

Scarlet band accept explorers, but only on Durham County subsidised services- so not valid between Bishop Auckland and Cockfield, but valid from Cockfield to Barnard Castle and up to Middleton in Teesdale, also valid on 58 etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.