• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Fare Evasion Letter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjd1986

Hello I'm hoping I can get some advice on how to respond to this letter please

the story of how it came around was

- Me and three friends got on the train at Padgate station - as we were walking onto the train we saw there was a ticket machine (I've later found out that was put in 3 days before we traveled, there are no notices of a ticket machine and the website still claims there to be no office or machine) we genuinely didn't see it but as the train had arrived we thought as it was the slow train to Manchester we will pay when the conductor came round
- no conductor came around on the whole journey

We arrived at Piccadilly station and just completely forgot to buy a ticket, we were having a few drinks and just proceeded to leave, as our friend has a chronic back problem we left via the lift

We were met by two conductors waiting, straight away we apologized and offered to either pay there or go back into the station to pay where possible, however understandably they said no and we gave in our details. I didn't realise one of my drunk friends gave in the wrong station we traveled from so on the report it doesn't say Padgate.

I want to reply, come clean about the whole thing including that we came from Padgate - explain what happened but I'm not sure what to say, we always intended to buy a ticket we just made the mistake of not having one until it was too late.

The letter I've received is a generic 'regulations of railways act' letter asking for an explanation

I've also never had any previous conviction and I've always paid for my tickets, just a stupid 'drunken' mistake

I'm more than happy to pay the fare and any costs, I hope this is something where an out of court settlement would be possible - definitely isn't something I would make a mistake of doing again

hope I can get some advice, thank you

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm more than happy to pay the fare and any costs, I hope this is something where an out of court settlement would be possible - definitely isn't something I would make a mistake of doing again
You've got your answer right there. Say the same in your reply.

Mjd1986

Thank you, the thing I was debating most is do I mention the mistake about the wrong station being on the report?

What are the chances of this going to court for a stupid mistake and first offence?

Thanks for the advice

najaB

Veteran Member
What are the chances of this going to court for a stupid mistake and first offence?
Based on prior posters I'd say it's more likely than not that you will be able to achieve a settlement. Expect it to be about £80 in costs.
Do I mention the mistake about the wrong station being on the report?
Yes. Don't go into details why, just say something along the lines of 'I want to pay the fare due from Padgate (where I boarded) to Piccadilly.'

Mjd1986

would anyone be able to vet my letter please? just making sure I am not including anything I shouldn't

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
I'd leave out the "Unfortunately, during the journey no conductor came around the train for us to buy a valid ticket." as it sounds like you're blaming the TOC.

Just change "we assumed we would be OK to pay the conductor as he came round." to "we assumed we would be OK to pay the conductor as he came round but weren't able to do so."

Mjd1986

ok thanks for looking at it for me, I'll let the forum know when I get my reply

Established Member
Yes we always like to hear the outcome of these issues. I hope you reach a favourable outcome.

Just out of interest are you sure the machines were working? It took 6 weeks for the ones at my local station to be commisioned.

They really should be more lenient after new machine installs though. A week or two of not pulling people over and informing people the machine are there and better signage would benefit everyone.

Mjd1986

not even sure if it was working yet - just noticed there was a machine as we were walking on (wasn't there last time I got a train from Padgate a few weeks before) there are no signs to say there was a machine in place and the website still tells you there is no machine either!

I've not had any response yet, fingers crossed they can recognize the mistake and now I know there is a machine at Padgate I'll be using it going forward (if it's working)

dj_mikey_k

- Me and three friends got on the train at Padgate station - as we were walking onto the train we saw there was a ticket machine (I've later found out that was put in 3 days before we traveled, there are no notices of a ticket machine and the website still claims there to be no office or machine) we genuinely didn't see it but as the train had arrived we thought as it was the slow train to Manchester we will pay when the conductor came round
- no conductor came around on the whole journey

We arrived at Piccadilly station and just completely forgot to buy a ticket, we were having a few drinks and just proceeded to leave, as our friend has a chronic back problem we left via the lift

What service did you get from Padgate. there is only the 21.36 weekday service that is direct to Piccadilly. if you travelled at any other time you would have had the opportunity to buy tickets at Either Warrington Central or Manchester Oxford Road.

Mjd1986

Padgate to Oxford road - straight on a one stop train from Oxford road to Picadilly. You're right but we simply just carried on and forgot to buy one until we left picadilly station.

No opportunity at Warrington as we got on at padgate.

Was a stupid mistake, just too used to buying one directly on a train at padgate and carried on without thought while having a few drinks. We went straight to picadilly to be closer to our destination for my friend as he can't walk too far.

Can actually buy one from padgate now, signs are finally up and machine is working

Mjd1986

Bit of an update, my friend who I travelled with sent his 3 days letter after me but has now had a fixed penalty notice, not sure how it works and why his has been processed faster but hopefully that will be the outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.