• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NRE giving me a route that's not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre999uk

Hi,
Next Tuesday I'm taking my niece & nephew to the cinema in Portsmouth, the plan is to get returns from Havant to Portsmouth Harbour but on the return stop short at Bedhampton to take the kids home (is this allowed?).

I looked on National Rail Enquires website for trains from PMH to BDH after 1730, it gave the 1745 & 1815 with 1 change at Portsmouth & Southsea which I expected but also 3 other choices which logically are not permitted as they doubleback at Havant:
1729 change at Havant
1733 change at Portsmouth & Southsea and Havant
1828 change at Havant

Having checked the easements list from end of July, easement 300218 states:
Customers travelling from Portsmouth Harbour, Portsmouth and Southsea and Fratton to Bedhampton may not travel via Havant. This easement applies in both directions.

So why does National Rail Enquires suggest those 3, have I missed something?

Thanks
Steve

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

soil

Established Member
So why does National Rail Enquires suggest those 3, have I missed something?

Yes, this:

Tickets
Price
Single Fare
1 x Adult - Anytime Day Single £3.90
1 x Adult - Anytime Day Single £1.80
Total £5.70
You need to buy multiple tickets for this journey
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
BTW,

Havant-Portsmouth Stations
£4.40 SDR
£4.30 CDR

Havant-BDH
£1.80 SDS

So £4.30/£4.40 without doubling back, £6.10/£6.20 if you do.

BUT, I'm not sure if you can do journey on this ticket, starting short at Havant outbound, and breaking your journey doubling back from Havant to Bedhampton on the return:

Warblington-Portsmouth Stations
£4.50 SDR
£4.30 CDR

You can of course stop short on most tickets, and break journey likewise, so that's ok, but I'm not sure if the easement preventing doubling back would cover you if you were merely 'breaking' your journey at Bedhampton.

The distance between Bedhampton and Havant is only 3/4 of a mile, which is why it's otherwise permitted, being within 3 miles of the shortest route.

Last edited:

Sabre999uk

:oops: I've made a fool of myself again, cos I only wanted to know times I didn't look at the fares or even think it would be suggesting multiple tickets... :oops:

If only there were still opening windows on trains, we could throw them into their back garden just past Bedhampton crossing <D

Thanks
Steve
(puts on dunces cap & goes to stand in the corner)

Status
Not open for further replies.