• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Other careers in railway but not a driver...

Status
Not open for further replies.

graezym

Hi all,

So its obvious that its easier to get a driver job if your already in the rail business.

What other careers are there out there then?

I have the option to go to university, so not really looking into being a trolley person...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Both TOCs and the aajor transport groups such as First have Graduate programmes. Many current and former TOC MDs were in BR management trainee companies. There are plenty of transport and logistics degrees out there (I'm on one of them and also work part-time for a TOC), but if you have got good grades then perhaps something in Engineering might be more appropriate?

The Snap

Established Member
Sheffield Hallam University run a Railway Engineering Degree, and are the only one to do so. The course is sponsored by various railway industry companies, including Network Rail, and includes 5 months of work placement per year. At the end of the 2 years (or 3 if you can/want), you will be offered a job. That is a very brief description of it, and you'll find more here: www.shu.ac.uk/courses/rail

The course is difficult to get on because there are less than 50 places - experience on a preserved line would be highly advisable!

I am pleased to say I'm doing the course from September onwards, and have been offered a position as a Trainee Engineer at Volker Rail who are my sponsor through the course and employer after it finishes :).

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Transport planning perhaps? Definitely a good way to get into the logistical side of the rail industry as opposed to the operations. Leeds do a seriously interesting degree that I considered doing, and can also be combined with geography (joint honours) if you're interested in it. See http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/ for more info! :)

AlexS

Established Member
Sheffield Hallam University run a Railway Engineering Degree, and are the only one to do so. The course is sponsored by various railway industry companies, including Network Rail, and includes 5 months of work placement per year. At the end of the 2 years (or 3 if you can/want), you will be offered a job. That is a very brief description of it, and you'll find more here: www.shu.ac.uk/courses/rail

The course is difficult to get on because there are less than 50 places - experience on a preserved line would be highly advisable!

I am pleased to say I'm doing the course from September onwards, and have been offered a position as a Trainee Engineer at Volker Rail who are my sponsor through the course and employer after it finishes :).

We had some of the Volker Rail lads and one Network Rail lad at Sheffield working with us on placement in May and on the whole we were pretty impressed with them - hopefully they found working with us on a live project useful as well. I imagine it will be one of the only times in their careers they are expected to dig a 6 feet deep hole by hand to plant a signal in.

The Snap

Established Member
We had some of the Volker Rail lads and one Network Rail lad at Sheffield working with us on placement in May and on the whole we were pretty impressed with them - hopefully they found working with us on a live project useful as well. I imagine it will be one of the only times in their careers they are expected to dig a 6 feet deep hole by hand to plant a signal in.

Top stuff, I can't wait for that! :) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.