• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photo in Unidentified Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson102

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a photo, of an unknown locomotive under construction in an unknown works. As such, I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer any suggestions as to where (or what) it is?

I'm inclined to wonder if it might be Swindon works and a 72xx tank from the sheer length of frames behind the firebox, but even then something just doesn't look quite right about the frames & boiler.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!

DSC_8383.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is that a Fowler 2-6-4 tank being built at Derby Works maybe?

DelW

Established Member
It's difficult to be 100% sure, but I think the cylinders are inclined which would rule out the GWR 72xx tanks. The inclined cylinders and the step in the running plate at about the middle driving axle would be consistent with LMS 2-6-4 tanks. I'd also suggest that the curved cut-outs in the rear frames may be to accommodate the axles of a 4 wheel trailing truck.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's difficult to be 100% sure, but I think the cylinders are inclined which would rule out the GWR 72xx tanks. The inclined cylinders and the step in the running plate at about the middle driving axle would be consistent with LMS 2-6-4 tanks. I'd also suggest that the curved cut-outs in the rear frames may be to accommodate the axles of a 4 wheel trailing truck.
What says Fowler to me is the shape of the frames behind the cylinders.
It seems to have that characteristic drop associated with his designs.

pdeaves

Established Member
I cannot help with the loco type (though a consensus seems to have been reached!). To add further weight, the works building does not 'feel' like Swindon.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I tried a Google Images reverse search on it in case it has been published elsewhere with a description but came up with an immensely spectacular fail.

For the benefit of those needing text, the reverse search - which is of a picture of a locomotive under construction - suggested it was a Boeing C97 "Double bubble". I think not...

upload_2019-2-27_22-20-31.png

Spartacus

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it's a Fowler 2-6-4T in Derby, in fact I can't really see it being anything else.

DelW

Established Member
I'm pretty sure it's a Fowler 2-6-4T in Derby, in fact I can't really see it being anything else.
Looking through my LMS books yesterday evening, I found an official works photo of a Fowler 2-6-4T taken from exactly side-on and as far as I could see the frame shapes were just as the OP's photo.

Robinson102

Thank you all for your help - it seems the general concensus is a Fowler 2-6-4T at Derby, and that is fine for me.

Does anyone know if any of the Fowler tanks were built at Crewe, or is it going to be 100% Derby?

Thanks!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thank you all for your help - it seems the general concensus is a Fowler 2-6-4T at Derby, and that is fine for me.

Does anyone know if any of the Fowler tanks were built at Crewe, or is it going to be 100% Derby?

Thanks!
I think 100% Derby as they weren't a particularly large class in numbers.
They seem to have had quite a long build run though considering that there were only 125 produced.

exbrel

hi,
from my days at Crewe the location is not familiar, although the build workshops/boiler shop had the same arches between bays, and similar windows, non had a belt with windows at the end as seen here...
regards,
dave...

Status
Not open for further replies.