• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Photo puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy873

I'm trying to work out some dates and I have a puzzle with These photos:

http://www.steamingnorth.com/displayimage.php?album=12&pid=357#top_display_media

http://www.steamingnorth.com/displayimage.php?album=12&pid=358#top_display_media

There was a gap of around 2 years between the down line being lifted and the up line also being removed.

Puzzle 1. I cannot make out any weeds where the down line was, do you think it's because the photos are black and White? I would have thought after 2 years there must have been some.

Puzzle 2. What month of the year do you think it is (roughly) Sept / Oct?
It Looks foggy to me, or maybe it's from the engine?

Thanks,
Andy.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
From the lack of foliage on the trees i would have guessed late autumn or even winter.

From the weather conditions - mist or drizzle, could be either - round here it could be any time of year :) but seriously it's unlikely to be summer!

Andy873

Thanks 30907,

I was also looking at the trees, if I have this right - after seeing this train my grandfarther took me down to see the goods yard.

On the way back I asked what where the trees in the windows of the houses for.

He said it was nearly Christmas, so if I have got this right, it would have been late November / Early December.

So that would make me only 18 months old!

Anyone else agree with November / December?

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
Looking at the dried grass, stinging nettle stems and dessicated dock leaves I'd suggest its more like January / February. The total absence of dead leaves from the (birch?) tree near the bridge makes me think the same.

As for the absence of growth on the lifted trackbed, that looks as if the ballast was recovered relatively recently, maybe three months or so. Nothing is likely to grown during that time

Taunton

Established Member
You may note that there are very few weeds in general in steam era photos. BR used a substantial and effective weedkiller, which was sprayed from a specially-equipped train. The weedkiller was later banned as having all sorts of nasty properties, but it certainly did the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.