• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2022 Conservative Leadership Election - Liz Truss chosen as party leader (and subsequent reshuffle)

Who should be the next Conservative leader?

• Kemi Badenoch - now eliminated

Votes: 27 11.3%
  • Suella Braverman - now eliminated

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt - now eliminated

Votes: 10 4.2%
  • Penny Mordaunt - now eliminated

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 62 25.8%
  • Liz Truss

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Tom Tugendhat - now eliminated

Votes: 54 22.5%
  • Nadhim Zahawi - now eliminated

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhoon

Established Member
While I would certainly agree about the others (no idea who Kadyrov is, though) is there a vast difference between Truss and the 2016 version of Trump, before he'd gone completely crazy?

Certainly the similarity between Truss and the 2016 Trump is, in my view, closer than the simlarity between 2016 Trump and Putin, Hitler, Stalin etc.
I would think that unlikely. It only needs 54 letters of 'No Confidence' to trigger a secret ballot. There are quite a few Sunak supporters as well as others turfed out of office as of yesterday, add to that the old lags, who have nothing to gain and nothing to lose but see the Conservative Party as one of high standards and also the natural party of government, and I think that number could be met now. It won't happen now but if she goes down the Trump path, they could go in. Secret ballot so some on the payroll would be able to express any discomfort with their vote. Truss has a fine line to tread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brad465

Established Member
As much as I loathe the current state of Government and the new leader, invoking Godwin's law is a sign that it maybe time to call a break/it a day.

Gloster

Established Member
How is she going to do that? (Bear in mind that, if by any chance you're referring to CO2 emissions, the UK currently contributes something like about 1% of global emissions, so not enough to make any significant global difference whatever the UK Government does) Or do you think she can bring about the end of human life in some other way?

Remember, about now she will be writing the letters to the Captains of our nuclear deterrent submarines, if she hasn’t already done so. This gives her a few possibilities. It also tends to be the point when a new PM realises the weight of the job.

Ediswan

Established Member
Remember, about now she will be writing the letters to the Captains of our nuclear deterrent submarines, if she hasn’t already done so. This gives her a few possibilities. It also tends to be the point when a new PM realises the weight of the job.
Reportedly, this is the first job after taking office. I have to assume there is some sneaky beaky way of delivering the letters to submarines at sea.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Remember, about now she will be writing the letters to the Captains of our nuclear deterrent submarines, if she hasn’t already done so. This gives her a few possibilities.

... giving instructions for how they must react *IF* someone else has already nuked the UK. In that event, I would say responsibility for the destruction mostly rests on whoever used the nukes first (assuming there wasn't some totally extreme provocation from the UK, which seems pretty unlikely). (Obviously we all hope that will never happen)

nw1

Established Member
As much as I loathe the current state of Government and the new leader, invoking Godwin's law is a sign that it maybe time to call a break/it a day.

I'm not sure anyone was seriously going that far though - the only posts that mentioned particularly evil dictators by name were in fact arguing against that. My post for example said that there were perhaps not a vast world of difference between Truss and Trump - and made the point that even Trump (much as I dislike him) was nothing like as bad as the most vile dictators of history and the present.

TwoYellas

... giving instructions for how they must react *IF* someone else has already nuked the UK. In that event, I would say responsibility for the destruction mostly rests on whoever used the nukes first (assuming there wasn't some totally extreme provocation from the UK, which seems pretty unlikely). (Obviously we all hope that will never happen)
Hope to be proven wrong but Truss doesn't strike me as a leader with a vision of nuclear de-escalation (eventually) or even nuclear free zones with intensive inspections which are possible. It seems M.A.D is the way with fingers crossed there isn't a catastrophe/accident/mistake.

Gloster

Established Member

Total irrelevant and completely hypothetical: is there anything to stop her saying, ‘If Labour win an election, nuke Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool and Stow-on-the-Wold‘?

GS250

Agreed. Whilst we all like to criticise our MPs stuff like this is extremely daunting and not something of which must be pleasant for anyone.

tomuk

Established Member
Hope to be proven wrong but Truss doesn't strike me as a leader with a vision of nuclear de-escalation (eventually) or even nuclear free zones with intensive inspections which are possible. It seems M.A.D is the way with fingers crossed there isn't a catastrophe/accident/mistake.
Why do you want either of those?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Total irrelevant and completely hypothetical: is there anything to stop her saying, ‘If Labour win an election, nuke Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool and Stow-on-the-Wold‘?

As a purely hypothetical question with no likely basis in reality :) , I suspect the biggest practical problem is that - if I've understood the system correctly - the letters concerned wouldn't even be opened and read unless the UK had already been nuked and all communication with the Government had been cut off, so there wouldn't be any way to get those instructions to the submarine commanders if it's just a case of, an election defeat. I would hope however that, even if you could get around that problem, any submarine commander would be like, that's an idiotic command with no relevance to protecting the UK! No way!.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reportedly, this is the first job after taking office. I have to assume there is some sneaky beaky way of delivering the letters to submarines at sea.
The three that aren't currently deployed will be changed over as soon as the letters can be delievered. However, to my undertanding, whichever boat is still at sea will fall back on Boris' letter until it returns to port should the need arise. It simply cannot risk being detected and tracked by meeting up with another ship, helicopter or submarine to transfer the letter.
Well no. Not really. But a) no commander would be unlikely to follow such a clearly illegal order and b) they would only open the letter in the event that they had been unable to make contact with the UK command and control facilities and had assured themselves that the UK had been attacked by nuclear weapons.

Ediswan

Established Member
The three that aren't currently deployed will be changed over as soon as the letters can be delievered. However, to my undertanding, whichever boat is still at sea will fall back on Boris' letter until it returns to port should the need arise. It simply cannot risk being detected and tracked by meeting up with another ship, helicopter or submarine to transfer the letter.
Thinking further, I suspect you are right. Up to three months if I read correctly.

tomuk

Established Member
Until the middle of July HMS Vanguard, one of the four boats, had been in refit at Devonport for seven years.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It’s new thread time folks. It’s been whittled down to the final two and we have a winner now in Liz Truss. Time to wipe the slate clean and start again.

The debate in this thread has been of a very high quality on the whole and we thank you for that. It’s been interesting, informative and well natured.

Thanks everyone. The new thread is below:

Status
Not open for further replies.