• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Prague Airport Bus 119 Trolleybus Conversion

Whisky Papa

I reported elsewhere that the wiring for the forthcoming conversion of bus 119 from Prague Airport to Nádraží Veleslavín on Metro line A appeared to be complete in November. I've been watching for some trial operation of the new route 59, similar to the conversion of bus 140 last year, where shadow operation of trolleybus 58 took place over many months, first only at weekends then midweek with a couple of trolleybuses, but with no reduction in the bus service.

So far nothing, until tomorrow. Apparently, the whole timetable will switch from bus 119 to trolleybus 59 after about 1440 until the finish of service. Even more oddly, that seems to be it, it's back to buses on Thursday.

It seems to be a very drastic way of conducting a trial, and if anyone on here happens to be flying in or out of Prague tomorrow, something to look out for!

Attachments

• 59_linka.pdf
    110.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 119_linka.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 24
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Fascinating. And just like our railways, the 'x' is a request stop ;)

Whisky Papa

Fascinating. And just like our railways, the 'x' is a request stop ;)
The automated 'příští zastávka je na znamení' announcement to remind passengers of this fact soon becomes very wearing!

Veteran Member
As far as I can see the 59 replaces the 119 permanently but for some reason the timetable isn't uploaded.

Whisky Papa

As far as I can see the 59 replaces the 119 permanently but for some reason the timetable isn't uploaded.
That would be logical, but there is no end date on the 'normal' 119 timetable starting from the 19th Feb (which I didn't attach). It certainly could be the case though.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
This link confirms it in more detail:

Permanent change: Launch of the trolleybus line to the airport​

Last updated: 3/6/2024 11:47 AM |
StateIn progress
Permanently since3/6/2024 2:41 PM
Affected lines
bus.png
troll.png
Event typeCanceling a line, Establishing a line

MEASURES​

• A new PID trolleybus line is being introduced on the route Nádraží Veleslavín – Divoká Šárka – Terminal 3 – Airport
  • All operating parameters are the same as line 119, which has been in operation until now

• The line is canceled and fully replaced by the new line 59

Whisky Papa

Says "line 119 is not in operation from 7 March"
Thanks, I'd only been looking at the timetables section on DPP's own website (the operator) rather than PID's. I thought that it was unusual for them not to be updated ready for the change - it almost made me wonder if they were hedging their bets in case of any problem on the Wednesday evening operation.

Right, just need to get there and try them out now :D!

dutchflyer

Established Member
NOte: In Praha on DPP-and in fact on all CZ (and SK/PL/HU etc) CITY transit all stops are compulsory-unless it clearly shows its on request. Dates from many moons ago.
Praha is the 13th city in CZ to have trolleybuses.

Whisky Papa

There is a Wikipedia article listing the forthcoming trolleybus conversions in Prague, if anybody wishes to Google it. As the current bus network is mostly a mix of short but busy feeder routes and often quite long orbital routes, I suspected it would be mostly the former that would be converted, creating a patchwork of separate operations, unlike most city systems. With battery power available, there is no need to be directly wired to the garages.

Well, I guessed some of the routes correctly, but I wrong in that the 107 isn't included, as it is a mega-frequent, relatively short feeder route that climbs steeply up to Suchdol, nor some of the feeder routes from the Bohnice estate to the Kobylisy metro station. To my surprise, both the 112 from Nádraží Holešovice out to the zoo at Troja and the lengthy (22km) 201 from the same starting point eastwards to Černý Most metro terminus were, the latter becoming the 61.

I was right with the 176 from Karlovo náměstí up the hill to Stadion Strahov, which will become the 53, its starting point being the only location served in what might be regarded as the city centre. I believe it was the last trolleybus route to close from their original system in the early 1970s. The 56 (ex 191) will serve the airport in addition to the recently introduced 59, but is a much longer route at 19.5km. The longest route listed is the 57 at 26km, replacing the 136 on a long cross-suburban slog round the eastern side of the city.

Also listed for conversion is the current 375 bus which runs NE beyond the city boundary to Brandýs nad Labem-Stará Boleslav, again a journey in excess of 20km.

The full list of existing routes for conversion is 112 131 134 136 137 142 150 174 176 184 191 201 225 375.

Belperpete

Established Member
Travelled from the airport today. Disappointed to find that although trolleys are running, the 59 I was on was one of the old articulated diesel buses.

The wiring doesn't go to the airport terminals, so presumably the trolleys are on battery power once they get in the airport. There is a large bus park on the outskirts of the airport that is wired, and had several trolleys parked there.

I also noted that on part of the dual carriageway into town, both lanes of the opposite carriageway appeared to be wired.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Travelled from the airport today. Disappointed to find that although trolleys are running, the 59 I was on was one of the old articulated diesel buses.

The wiring doesn't go to the airport terminals, so presumably the trolleys are on battery power once they get in the airport. There is a large bus park on the outskirts of the airport that is wired, and had several trolleys parked there.

I also noted that on part of the dual carriageway into town, both lanes of the opposite carriageway appeared to be wired.

As I remember it, there are historic part of central Prague where they don't put wires up, and the trolleybuses manage on batteries for these stretches.

Whisky Papa

As I remember it, there are historic part of central Prague where they don't put wires up, and the trolleybuses manage on batteries for these stretches.
That could have been the case with the original trolleybuses that ceased operation in the early 1970s, but the two routes recently introduced are not central. Of the planned conversions listed in #10, only the 53 (replacing the current 176 bus) will run in what might be considered the central area (although not an especially picturesque bit of it), so it will be interesting to see if those streets will be wired when conversion takes place. As many of them are shared with trams, it would certainly be simpler not to wire them.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I thought I was seeing things when I saw trolleybus wires near Prague airport the other week! However they didn't seem to extend into the airport complex?

Whisky Papa

I thought I was seeing things when I saw trolleybus wires near Prague airport the other week! However they didn't seem to extend into the airport complex?
Correct. The Wikipedia article I mentioned in #10 suggests both the two new routes have only 50% of route mileage wired, but subsequent ones are planned to be somewhat higher. I'm not sure if the wired bus parking area mentioned by @Belperpete in #12 is the existing layover spot behind Terminal 2, although I assume so. Unfortunately it was already dark when I passed it on arrival on my last trip, and I wasn't even aware I should have been looking for wires at the time:rolleyes:.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
That could have been the case with the original trolleybuses that ceased operation in the early 1970s, but the two routes recently introduced are not central. Of the planned conversions listed in #10, only the 53 (replacing the current 176 bus) will run in what might be considered the central area (although not an especially picturesque bit of it), so it will be interesting to see if those streets will be wired when conversion takes place. As many of them are shared with trams, it would certainly be simpler not to wire them.

So did none of the trolleybus routes which started 6 or 7 years ago run anywhere in the centre?

Or could it be that some tram routes in the centre have gaps in the wires in the historic areas, and that's that's getting me confused?

Belperpete

Established Member
So did none of the trolleybus routes which started 6 or 7 years ago run anywhere in the centre?

Or could it be that some tram routes in the centre have gaps in the wires in the historic areas, and that's that's getting me confused?
As far as I am aware, there was only one short route put in 7 years ago: the experimental system put in to prove the concept of hybrid battery/trolley buses would work on Prague's hills, following problems encountered with the battery buses on hilly routes. It was run with a selection of experimental, borrowed and historical trolleybuses. It was out in Palmovka, nowhere near the centre. Its remains have been incorporated into the new line 58, opened this year.

Can't think of any tram lines in the city centre that have gaps in their wiring. The old T3s that formed the backbone of the tram fleet needed continuous wiring, so having put it up throughout the city centre, why would they take it down?

AlbertBeale

Established Member
As far as I am aware, there was only one short route put in 7 years ago: the experimental system put in to prove the concept of hybrid battery/trolley buses would work on Prague's hills, following problems encountered with the battery buses on hilly routes. It was run with a selection of experimental, borrowed and historical trolleybuses. It was out in Palmovka, nowhere near the centre. Its remains have been incorporated into the new line 58, opened this year.

Can't think of any tram lines in the city centre that have gaps in their wiring. The old T3s that formed the backbone of the tram fleet needed continuous wiring, so having put it up throughout the city centre, why would they take it down?

Thanks for the info. Could be I'm misremembering - it's a few years since I was there!

The exile

Established Member
I believe the new ( being reinstated) extension along Wilsonova may be intended to be wire free (but may be getting my own wires crossed)