• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Qualified Driver - Best way to apply for jobs and dormant train driver licence

JohnO295

I'm currently a driver in London but need to relocate to the Carlisle area for family reasons very soon. I've looked on the Northern and Scotrail websites but it looks like it's trainee only. Is it worth sending speculative CVs or application/queries to TOCs or is it just a case of wait and see? I keep being told that there's a shortage of drivers but it doesn't look like that anywhere at the moment.

Also, if I have to move without a job do you know how long I can keep my licence and continue to apply for vacancies without working at a TOC? I have a HGV licence and that's dormant at the moment until I get my CPC and medical etc but I imagine it's different for ex train drivers.

Thanks very much in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Northern generally do take speculative applications from qualified drivers, always worth a go. Carlisle is quite a small depot though so it depends if they forsee a need for additional crew.

driver9000

Established Member
DRS and Freightliner have depots in Carlisle if you're not exclusively wanting to stay on passenger work.

When you leave your current employer they will inform the ORR and should give you a copy of your competence certificate but the actual licence belongs to you which is valid for 10 years but I'm not sure how long you can out of the industry before being classed as a trainee again. Details on Driver licences are on the ORR website.

coxxy

Apply for the trainee vacancy, but make it clear thay you are qualified. Common practice with noethern as they don't usually advertise for qualifieds anymore.

InkyScrolls

I'm currently a driver in London but need to relocate to the Carlisle area for family reasons very soon. I've looked on the Northern and Scotrail websites but it looks like it's trainee only. Is it worth sending speculative CVs or application/queries to TOCs or is it just a case of wait and see? I keep being told that there's a shortage of drivers but it doesn't look like that anywhere at the moment.

Also, if I have to move without a job do you know how long I can keep my licence and continue to apply for vacancies without working at a TOC? I have a HGV licence and that's dormant at the moment until I get my CPC and medical etc but I imagine it's different for ex train drivers.

Thanks very much in advance
Definitely worth applying; they (Northern, I can't say for ScotRail) don't specifically advertise for qualified drivers but do take them on. I've a friend who's in a similar situation to you, coming from Avanti to Northern as a qualified driver.

rattledmyths

Hi,

I'm a similar situation but I'm a trainee in Talent pools. I may need to relocate.

Hi,

I'm a similar situation but I'm a trainee in Talent pools. I may need to relocate.
Is it possible to send speculative application in this situation

Last edited:

Juliet Barvo

On Moderation
Always send speculative CV's to the companies you are interested in, and if possible send a letter to the depot managers.
Plus apply via website if advertised.

Always Always Always Always...

Many a driver got a job by the former method while getting nowhere via websites

RJM

I've just been through the process of transferring to a different TOC (SWR to ScotRail) as a Qualified Driver and am moving in the autumn. Email your CV to the recruitment team and stay in contact every couple of months to ensure your application is still live.

King Lazy

I was told that if you leave the driving grade you have 2 years to return before you need to go through psychometrics and retraining.

As for Carlisle. As well as those mentioned upthread there are also small numbers of GBRF and Colas drivers based there.

Northern’s Workington and Scotrail’s Dumfries depots are also easily commutable from Carlisle.

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
Hi,

Is it possible to send speculative application in this situation
Completely different if you are a trainee and not qualified - all you have is a psychometric pass that may or may not meet the standard another TOC requires. You'd just have to apply as normal.