• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Ferry Filming

samwillis

Hello Everyone, Dr Sam Willis here again - I'm a well-known historian historian.

Many of you very kindly helped me with some queries about a model of an East German Rail Ferry that is held at the headquarters of the International Maritime Organisation in London. It's all part of an amazing ongoing project 'Maritime Innovation in Miniature' filming the world's best ships models with the latest camera equipment.

We have now finished filming this model. There are some astonishing close-ups here of the detail of the vessel - it will be a fantastic resource for anyone investigating rail ferries.

Can anyone point me towards other models of rail ferries? There's an interesting one called Baikal I know of in Newcastle Discovery Museum but beyond that I'd appreciate all suggestions as to types of rail ferry I should film as well as as location of models.

With many thanks
Sam

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-11-10-07h47m45s532.png
    vlcsnap-2023-11-10-07h47m45s532.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 22
  • vlcsnap-2023-11-10-07h48m05s308.png
    vlcsnap-2023-11-10-07h48m05s308.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 22
  • vlcsnap-2023-11-10-07h48m20s387.png
    vlcsnap-2023-11-10-07h48m20s387.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 22
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
by "railferry" do you specifically mean ships which carried trains / rolling stock, or just any ferries owned by rail companies?

Gloster

Established Member
To the best of my recollection there are plenty in the Danish Railway Museum in Odense. As Denmark was the train-ferry land, there are probably others elsewhere in the country.

samwillis

by "railferry" do you specifically mean ships which carried trains / rolling stock, or just any ferries owned by rail companies?
Hello! It's a good point. I didn't appreciate there was a difference. The purpose is to cover as many different types of ships as possible so the answer is both - as long as the models are good enough.

To the best of my recollection there are plenty in the Danish Railway Museum in Odense. As Denmark was the train-ferry land, there are probably others elsewhere in the country.
Great suggestion, many thanks.

randyrippley

Established Member
If you're interested in foot and vehicle ferries as well, then try the Isle of Man Steam Packet over in Douglas.
They have - or had - an extensive collection of builders models of their ferries going back a long time. For a while two of them were in one of the waiting rooms at Lancaster railway station, but they were sent back at least ten years ago. While they didn't carry trains, their ferries certainly connected with trains.

Begs the question, what happened to the builders models for the Sealink ships? Did the BR ones end up with Sea Containers or Stena? Or the SNCF and ALA ones like St Elois?

samwillis

If you're interested in foot and vehicle ferries as well, then try the Isle of Man Steam Packet over in Douglas.
They have - or had - an extensive collection of builders models of their ferries going back a long time. For a while two of them were in one of the waiting rooms at Lancaster railway station, but they were sent back at least ten years ago. While they didn't carry trains, their ferries certainly connected with trains.

Begs the question, what happened to the builders models for the Sealink ships? Did the BR ones end up with Sea Containers or Stena? Or the SNCF and ALA ones like St Elois?
Thanks. Excellent. Was there very recently and toured the rail workshops.

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpeg
    IMG_6801.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6803.jpeg
    IMG_6803.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 13

Ayrshire Roy

The Riverside Museum (Glasgow Transport Museum) has an extensive collection of builders models.
If anything your looking for was built on the Clyde then they would be a good place to look.
The models there are built to a very high standard.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
There’s one in the Italian rail museum on the outskirts of Naples. Photo (scroll down) on my thread over here

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Would the NRM have something in thier collection? There is all sorts held in storage or "displayed" in the warehouse at York

Gloster

Established Member
Or the Science Museum? Fifty years ago, if my childhood memories have not become muddled over the decades, they had plenty of models of all types. Do they and the NRM have on-line catalogues?

WesternLancer

Established Member
Or the Science Museum? Fifty years ago, if my childhood memories have not become muddled over the decades, they had plenty of models of all types. Do they and the NRM have on-line catalogues?
They do have on line catalogue - tho I am not sure if it is of the complete collection as I have not checked that - a quick search resulted in this entry which says 'on display' - no pic on web entry tho. Pretty sure I have seen at least one or two model of railway related ships in the NRM (indeed probably in The Warehouse)

Ship model Sealink Twin-Screw Steamship "Duke of Argyll", British Railways (London Midland Region) / Sealink, Heysham section, prototype built by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast, 1956.