• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rob Keene, of Over farm, deliberately blocks main line

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Robert A Keene, of Over Farm, in Gloucestershire, was unhappy at Network Rail not repairing fences that backed on to his farm, so he failed his tractor on the crossing and deliberately left it there being "in no hurry" to 'fix' it in retaliation.

The the location appears to be here on the main line between Gloucester and Newport.

NR said the blockage could "potentially put lives at risk", looking at the map it would not have been protected by the signalling until the farmer contacted the signalman, so it was a very risky act for the farmer to do. It has not been made clear from the reports if the farmer recieved permission to cross the line or not.

Click here for the BBC News story about the incident.

The farmer can be contacted on 01452 414975 if anyone wishes to claim compensation for delays.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
:lol: Well, that's one way of doing things. I for one admire his attitude, and hope enough people gove him a ring. Maybe someone else can tell him what an idiot he is.

DavyCrocket

So long as he advised the Signalman of his presence and trains were stopped, good on him.
If he did that then the BTP can't touch him. Network Rail could attempt to take him to court to recoup their costs or try to close the crossing I guess though.

Sometimes direct action is the only way to get things done, the people responsible for the fencing and other staff would proobably agree! This is the way the modern railway works! Just a shame that its the passengers that suffer the most.

devon_metro

Established Member
Lol - good on him. If something doesn't get done why should we sit around waiting for things to be done when we can sort them out!

Metroland

Established Member
Obstruction of the railway is a serious criminal offence, he can look forward to his trip to court.

He should grow up and deal with this through the proper channels. It's not NR he's inconveniencing, it's people trying to meet friends/family, get to work and meetings.

While I think there is some cases where direct action is a good thing (after all you wouldn't have half of your rights without it) I don't think a private dispute over a fence falls into that category.

Coxster

Established Member
Of course if you read the Chat Forum you'd have known about this on Tuesday ;) The crossing itself is also actually named Keene Crossing. I also wonder if you know all the facts surrounding the incident that took place on Tuesday morning? I mean unless you were there then surely you are just going by what the BBC has 'fed' you, Yorkie?

The farmer can be contacted on 01452 414975 if anyone wishes to claim compensation for delays.
That's mature - particularly for a staff member....

Status
Not open for further replies.