• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route 452's extension to Vauxhall bus station

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaig

I decided to make a video to demonstrate the 452's essential extension to Vauxhall. The buses did not get blind upgrades although most of the buses on the route are newly refurbished - this is because the buses are sometimes found on the 156 which already goes to Vauxhall. No permanent signs have been made at Bus Stop G at the bus station, for now just paper!!

https://youtu.be/A5DW-pkn5As

The bus at the start of the video is an example of a lovely well refurbished enviro 400 from Abellio's Battersea Garage. The 56/07s should have been done like these!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I decided to make a video to demonstrate the 452's essential extension to Vauxhall. The buses did not get blind upgrades although most of the buses on the route are newly refurbished - this is because the buses are sometimes found on the 156 which already goes to Vauxhall. No permanent signs have been made at Bus Stop G at the bus station, for now just paper!!

https://youtu.be/A5DW-pkn5As

The bus at the start of the video is an example of a lovely well refurbished enviro 400 from Abellio's Battersea Garage. The 56/07s should have been done like these!!

I agree with your written statements on the video i.e. the 452 extension was sensible but the 436 diversion to Battersea Park is a nonsense. Lewisham no longer has a direct connection to Victoria, Marble Arch and Paddington for the first time in a century! Totally retrograde. Yes, you can still take the convoluted 185 to Victoria if you have all day, before the pedants bite.

jaig

I agree with your written statements on the video i.e. the 452 extension was sensible but the 436 diversion to Battersea Park is a nonsense. Lewisham no longer has a direct connection to Victoria, Marble Arch and Paddington for the first time in a century! Totally retrograde. Yes, you can still take the convoluted 185 to Victoria if you have all day, before the pedants bite.
Is it highly unlikely that the 436 will change back to its normal routing? I hope not!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is it highly unlikely that the 436 will change back to its normal routing? I hope not!

I think the best that can be hoped is for the 36 to be extended from New Cross to Lewisham, with a frequency increase. The 436 could then get a decrease in frequency to allow for the few that wish to go to Battersea Park, unless I'm much mistaken. In the past, obvious mistakes could be rectified within months, weeks even, but in this age of supposed democratic consultation...:)

jaig

I think the best that can be hoped is for the 36 to be extended from New Cross to Lewisham, with a frequency increase. The 436 could then get a decrease in frequency to allow for the few that wish to go to Battersea Park, unless I'm much mistaken. In the past, obvious mistakes could be rectified within months, weeks even, but in this age of supposed democratic consultation...:)
You are not mistaken at all when talking about Battersea Park!! There are loads of major stations surrounding it that more people tend to use! Out of all places, why Battersea Park?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You are not mistaken at all when talking about Battersea Park!! There are loads of major stations surrounding it that more people tend to use! Out of all places, why Battersea Park?

Probably for the same reasons that is seeing the Northern Line extension to an old power station rather than a desperately needed Bakerloo extension into SE London. Big money talks!!

deltic

Established Member
Because the huge number of new housing that is being delivered and to provide a connection to Vauxhall given Northern line extension is not going to call there. Declaring an interest as I live on the 436 route and got on one today to go to Victoria only to find it was now going to Battersea I agree it would be better to have served the area with a totally new route

jaig

Because the huge number of new housing that is being delivered and to provide a connection to Vauxhall given Northern line extension is not going to call there. Declaring an interest as I live on the 436 route and got on one today to go to Victoria only to find it was now going to Battersea I agree it would be better to have served the area with a totally new route
I agree, but they should have taken advantage of routes that already terminate at Vauxhall, the best example being the 156, not 436.

tbtc

Veteran Member
the 436 diversion to Battersea Park is a nonsense. Lewisham no longer has a direct connection to Victoria, Marble Arch and Paddington for the first time in a century!

I could understand them making this change once Crossrail is open - i.e. there'll probably be less demand for services from Paddington into central London once there's a Class 345 every few minutes capable of carrying large volumes.

But I can't understand why they'd make it now (with no replacement at the Paddington end, as far as I could see)?

Or does Battersea Park take priority?

I'm all for diverting services into areas of new housing - and sometimes you've got to over-provide in the early years to ensure that a service is attractive from day one - but I'd have thought that the demand of Battersea Park residents was for a service into central London, rather than one to Lewisham etc? (no disrespect intended to Lewisham, I should add, just that this move seems to be more about "give Battersea Park a service" rather than "give Battersea Park a service that will be well used")

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I could understand them making this change once Crossrail is open - i.e. there'll probably be less demand for services from Paddington into central London once there's a Class 345 every few minutes capable of carrying large volumes.

But I can't understand why they'd make it now (with no replacement at the Paddington end, as far as I could see)?

Or does Battersea Park take priority?

I'm all for diverting services into areas of new housing - and sometimes you've got to over-provide in the early years to ensure that a service is attractive from day one - but I'd have thought that the demand of Battersea Park residents was for a service into central London, rather than one to Lewisham etc? (no disrespect intended to Lewisham, I should add, just that this move seems to be more about "give Battersea Park a service" rather than "give Battersea Park a service that will be well used")

Paddington has lost a lot of bus frequency over the last four years or so; the 159 has gone entirely, having not long since replaced the 15, the 7 and 23 have suffered peak hour cuts and now the 436 disappears from the area. The 36 gets a marginal increase in the peaks as a miserly replacement, but with those buses coming through from Queen's Park there may not be much room for waiting passengers at Paddington. This is certainly the first time in the sixty or so years I've followed these services that there have been no scheduled services starting at Paddington in the peaks to go down the Edgware Road to Marble Arch and beyond. The Circle Line way to Victoria is not only more expensive than the bus, but will often take much longer when you take frequency and getting up and down to the platforms into account.

I think you're right about 'giving Battersea Park a service' rather than something geared to the requirements of BP's residents, but will they really want to go to Vauxhall to try to cram on to Vic Line trains? Lewisham, as you say, is as far from the desired destination of BP-landers as BP is to Lewisham's!

I still feel, though, that there is a political element to these new facilities dating from Boris Johnson's tenure as Mayor and having cosy little meetings with property developers whose main aim is to achieve sky-high prices well beyond the scope of ordinary Londoners.

Status
Not open for further replies.