• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routemasters return to the 159 on 9/12/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
10 years to the day from the conversion of London's last Routemaster route, the 159, to opo buses, RMs and other old London buses will partially recreate the route on Wednesday 9th, between Marble Arch and Brixton Station from around midday to 6/7 p.m. Buses will operate every 10 minutes over the MA- Lambeth North section, and every 20 minutes to Brixton.

The event is being organised by the London Bus Preservation Trust and all buses are for public use, free of charge of course.

Ironically, the anniversary occurs just three days before Arriva London South, who operated the RMs from its Brixton garage and continue to operate the successor vehicles, lose the contract to operate the route to Abellio, who will convert the route to so-called New Routemasters. This probably put paid to any ideas of running the buses through to Streatham Hill, Telford Avenue, the home of Brixton garage.

I have no inside information as to whether Arriva will participate in this event with some of their heritage fleet. They own RMs 5 and 6, the first two numerically of the production Routemasters, and, of course, RM 2217, the very last of the 'true' 64-seat RMs which so magnificently performed the 'last bus' rituals back in 2005 before it, and its driver and conductor, went into retirement. It will certainly add to the occasion for me and many others if they are there, particularly 2217. Just hope I can make it to London myself for the day.

Just like to add that the Routemaster Association are also going to be doing a road run over the route, from Thornton Heath, on Saturday 12th December but this is NOT open to the public.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

neilm831

The new routemaster is better than the refurbished classic RMs,so hopefully they will turn up.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The new routemaster is better than the refurbished classic RMs,so hopefully they will turn up.

But are you aware that Hants and Dorset Trim has recently completed the refurbishment of the first of the 10 RMs which are to continue operating on the 15H? RM 2060 was the first, and apparently they will look more the way they used to, prior to the refurbishments done in 2005. It would be nice if 2060 puts in an appearance: I don't think it's yet reappeared on the 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.