• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ruggex days. what's happening???

Status
Not open for further replies.
as i posted on another part of forum i was in cardiff central on the wales vs australia rugby match day from 12 till about 4pm and saw no additional loco hauled diagrams. the FGW and Arriva services were full to capacity. my train from my home in Carmarthen was a valleys train 4 wheeled unit sent down from Cardiff which was the only different running i saw. i was in cardiff on mar 17 2007 when arriva were running a top+tail 47/50 and there were 2 green early BR liveried 47's plus a pullman train with the silver fox 67 making an appearance. to save a wasted journey for the wales vs scotland ruggex day in feb 2010 does anyone know if any specials or extra loco hauled diagrams will exist? it may be bit early to ask but maybe someone in the know can say if there is a big change in the ruggex days from what they used to be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thefab444

Established Member
17 Mar 2007 was the last day of ATW loco hauled additionals for Rugby. FGW stopped putting on loco hauled additionals in 2008.

in the loco hauled web site or railtours 2009 it did show what appeared to be 67 hauled shuttling between swansea - cardiff but it may have been a print error. said the operator of this was a combination of arriva & FGW. with the recent reprise of weekday services of quite a few loco hauled services it seems somewhat odd why these TOC's don't run these loco hauled trains as extras on busy match days. the HST's and particularly the other DMU's i did see were rammed full of people standing

thefab444

Established Member
Ah I could be wrong then, I'm only really interested in any happenings east of Cardiff, where they hasn't been anything that I'm aware of since early last year.

What you say makes sense but not railway sense. ;)

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I seem to remember 67's on shuttles in 2008? But other than charters atw nor fgw have had ruggex loco hauled - tends to be a couple of extra Pad-Cardiff HST's and 4 car dmu's shuttling between various places in South Wales e.g. NWP-CDF

thefab444

Established Member
Yeah that sounds right.

There were some Westbury - Cardiff, Swansea - Cardiff etc. shuttles operated by FGW with 67s in 2008 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.