• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

rules and regulations/emergency question

Status
Not open for further replies.

387star

On Moderation
If you describe a situation on the railway where you have had to make an emergency call to the signaller turned off power etc and assisted drunken person off tracks simply describing what anyone should do by sticking to the rules doesn't seem a stand oit answer

Any tips for this one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
The key is to describe what you did and why, and what you took from the experience - so to my mind that experience is perfect if you describe it appropriately.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
You need to be telling them what "you" specifically did, and not so much what others did.

danbarnstall

Out of interest is emergency situations / following rules just the one question or could this be split in two?

Got a final interview tomorrow with FTPE for a conductor job so any help would be great. Currently work for Arriva and ballsed up my last interview, lessons have been learned I can assure you all!

redbutton

Emergencies do not have to be life-and-death. In my case I described a time when I was the technical support engineer on duty when my company's website went down. That must have been a good enough response, because I got hired as a driver. The key is that it should be an unplanned situation that required an immediate response, preferably where the choices you made either helped or hurt the outcome. In my website example, I merely followed the disaster recovery and business continuity plans until a senior manager took over.

As I recall, the "rules and procedures" question was separate to the "emergencies" question, although in general the best response to an emergency (in life, not just on the railway) is to follow the rules and procedures you trained on and qualified with.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
In the same way, to get my guard's job I explained how I dealt with being first on the scene to a crash on a motorway having pulled over when it happened in front of me, including things like protecting the scene with my own vehicle (parking it a little way back with hazards on and engine off), giving accurate information to the emergency services, protecting myself by wearing a hi vis coat I kept in the car with a first aid box that was useful, and indeed when to give up control of the situation and stay out of the way when the professionals arrived until I was required to give a statement to a police officer. It's all about acting responsibly with due regard to safety, procedures, and knowing when to acquiesce to a senior person and start following directions rather than giving them.

Status
Not open for further replies.