• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Salespoint Assistant Assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonrich

Hello everyone,

I need some help, I have been invited to take the assessment for a salespoint assistant position with Southern Rail and I am very excited and nervous at the same time. I want to know if anyone has taken the assessment for this position before and what should I expect on the day. Also what exactly does a salespoint assistant do? Please help.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
I did an assessment with Southern for this role in 2011. I currently work in a ticket office, the job involves selling tickets, dealing with refunds and changes to tickets and giving out information on train services and local transport links/amenities.

I work at a lot of different stations. The number of responsibilities depends on who works at the station - if there are platform staff, team leaders or managers where you work, you'll probably just deal with the customer interface element of the job and be delegated tasks like replenishing leaflets. If not, you'll have to deal with keeping the station stocked with change, filling and emptying the self service ticket machines, platform security checks and various other bits and pieces. The other day I had to switch off the station's water supply as one of the shops had a leak in their stock room. Sometimes I deal with special assistance requests too.

I'll copy and paste some previous guidance I posted for someone asking a similar question.

It depends which Train Operating Company (TOC) you do it with - they all have their own way of doing things. I've been to more of those assessment centres for ticket office roles than I care to remember, but I have made it to the final stage in all of them so hopefully can offer some insight.

The first stage is often an aptitude test. This is done online and tests for a basic level of numeracy and verbal skills. London Midland opted for an online SHL psychometric test which tested for numerical reasoning skills. It required knowledge of how to handle ratios, percentage changes, the kind of thing taught in secondary school level maths. First had a calculation test, which is much easier but long, with 70 questions. In both instances, the time in which you have to complete the tests is specified as insufficient on the test instructions. You have to work quickly and accurately. If you pass, you get an invite to a job interview.

Some TOCs will not do any online testing and will invite you into an assessment centre based on your application. The assessment centre consists of stages where people who fail to achieve the standard required are sent home. They can take place in purpose built recruitment facilities, in hotels or in dormant offices within a station.

There may be a stage where the basic numerical and literacy tests may take place. I found that some TOCs don't bother, instead preferring only to use the bespoke railway themed OPC tests. SCAAT and TSCT appear repeatedly. Some TOCs will have you do all four of these tests.

Some TOCs will follow this up with a stage to test your interpersonal skills. Some do this in the form of a group excercise. Others use role play with an actor, creating a situation where you need to display your best customer service skills. Some TOCs won't.

Final stage is the interview. There is often someone from HR and usually a team leader/manager in charge of the station you want to work at. They will have a set of criteria they're looking for. It's your opportunity to show them that you fulfill those criteria.

Best of luck with it.

Last edited:

Lbamgbose

Hello everyone,

I need some help, I have been invited to take the assessment for a salespoint assistant position with Southern Rail and I am very excited and nervous at the same time. I want to know if anyone has taken the assessment for this position before and what should I expect on the day. Also what exactly does a salespoint assistant do? Please help.

Hi I also applied for this position but at a different location and at a different time and would like to know, when did you apply and how long before they got back to you regarding an invitation to an assessment.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also have you already attended the assessment?

Status
Not open for further replies.