• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SAS to leave Star Alliance on 31st August

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
SAS today announces exciting details about the next chapter in its future commercial relationships. SAS will remain in Star Alliance through August 31, 2024, and customers can start enjoying benefits with most SkyTeam airlines beginning September 1, 2024.

Following this transition starting September 1, 2024, SAS EuroBonus members will enjoy loyalty benefits similar to those offered today with Star Alliance airlines with most of SkyTeam’s airlines.

SAS is in advanced negotiations with SkyTeam and many of its member carriers to develop and grow extensive commercial relationships. We look forward to giving our customers access to 19 new airlines and more than 1,060 destinations around the globe. Customers will enjoy continued access to their favorite cities and regions, while enjoying more travel options to previously unserved destinations.

“We are thrilled to progress on our alliance transition journey and pave the way for delightful new destinations and loyalty program benefits across the world. Our focus now is to guide customers and our EuroBonus members on each step during this transition. We look forward to sharing more details as our journey progresses, with the aim to create a smooth transition to an exciting travel future with us,” says Chief Commercial Officer at SAS, Paul Verhagen.

We have worked closely with both Star Alliance and SkyTeam and many of their members over the last 6 months to ensure a smooth transition for all customers and our EuroBonus members. All customer benefits of Star Alliance, including earn and burn of EuroBonus points, lounge access and other benefits along the customer journey will remain through August 31, 2024. EuroBonus will remain SAS’ loyalty program, also after SAS leaves Star Alliance.

This move is happening as part of Air France-KLM's purchase of SAS shares. SAS will benefit from partnerships with Delta in particular for their trans-Atlantic operations once they fully move to Skyteam. Note that the press release says that SAS' EuroBonus will collect miles from Skyteam members, but not specifically that SAS will join Skyteam on 1st September.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

This move is happening as part of Air France-KLM's purchase of SAS shares. SAS will benefit from partnerships with Delta in particular for their trans-Atlantic operations once they fully move to Skyteam. Note that the press release says that SAS' EuroBonus will collect miles from Skyteam members, but not specifically that SAS will join Skyteam on 1st September.
I am excited but not as much as I once would have been because I am getting close to retirement - but definitely opens up some new route home possibilities for me!

e.g. CHA-ATL-CPH-MAN or CHA-DTW-CPH-MAN etc. Same options via ARN or OSL too.

Looking forward to it.

BTW - slightly OT - although I am Skyteam Elite Plus, being totally honest, in my opinion, Skyteam are the weakest alliance of the big 3 so SAS joining is a help.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Skyteam has giants like Delta, Air France-KLM and Korean Air though.
I know - so you would think Asia-Pacific region would be covered well with Korean in the alliance but most of the talkboards I am on (FlyerTalk for example) all agree that in the past Skyteam are the weakest alliance.

I use Air France-KLM all the time when I book through Delta and occasionally AeroMexico who are also in the SkyTeam alliance. They did have Aeroflop in the past!!!

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
I know - so you would think Asia-Pacific region would be covered well with Korean in the alliance but most of the talkboards I am on (FlyerTalk for example) all agree that in the past Skyteam are the weakest alliance.

I use Air France-KLM all the time when I book through Delta and occasionally AeroMexico who are also in the SkyTeam alliance. They did have Aeroflop in the past!!!
Delta relies too much on Korean Air for their Asian operations. Vietnam Airlines is also Skyteam I believe, but Skyteam losing China Southern was a blow to Skyteam.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I know and understand but look at the Global Coverage - I mean BA/AA/Quantas - fantastic.

They also have captive very high value, strongly O&D hubs like London, and strong presence/captive in high value places (or formerly high value) including Hong Kong, Tokyo, Sydney (as well as big hubs in the US) as well as high value connecting airlines like Qatar. Both OneWorld and SkyTeam have some big blackspots geographically, but OneWorld arguably captures more valuable markets and route pairs. Both are equally weak within Europe - their hubs are too far west. OneWorld is stronger in Asia/Pacific, and while SkyTeam is stronger in Latin America, it's very much a mixed market. Arguably SkyTeam are stronger than OneWorld in Africa with Kenya Airways, though again this is a market with strengths and weaknesses.

While Paris and Amsterdam are not poor cities by any stretch, they are not London. A recent piece in the Dutch media has highlighted that approximately 1 in 3 flights through Schiphol bring no benefit to the Dutch economy as they are nearly purely transit flights.

atillathehunn

Established Member
At the end of the day, SAS joining SkyTeam is a really good boost.
I didn't mean to say it wasn't - it was a comment on the overall strengths and weaknesses of the alliance.

It's a good boost (though not able to offer the once-competitive route to Asia 'over the top'). Additionally, given KLM's association with the oil and gas sector, it's an obvious add for high value flying.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Skyteam is weak on Europe-Australia/NZ, as only Korean flies beyond Singapore and if you fly with them you have to use LHR and spend a night in Seoul on the way back.
I don't think SAS will change that, and Russian sanctions don't help their Asian routes.
AF/KL partner with Qantas beyond Singapore, but prices are high and no mileage.
Despite being a Skyteam (Delta) member for decades, I flew LH last time Manchester to Sydney (actually on LX/CX going out and QF/LH on the way back) for the best fare by far.
Virgin Atlantic is still in a peculiar position, 49% owned by Delta but not fully integrated into Skymiles or their operating partnerships.
Over the years, I think alliances have weakened to the point where they don't work for passengers, even if they do for shareholders.
To think that Delta was once very close to Singapore Airlines...

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
@LNW-GW Joint - most of my flying is on DL/Virgin Atlantic and will hit two million miles with them early next year. But you have explained very well what I was trying to say in that SkyTeam are/were the weakest alliance- certainly for where I fly. Virgin Atlantic are now trying to integrate into SkyTeam.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I have flown Tokyo Narita - to Copenhagen but it did not fly the polar route - if that is what you meant by "over the top". However, we were over northern Russian airspace for most of the way.
I didn't necessarily mean the polar route precisely.

I meant that connections in Scandinavia were quite competitive heading to Asia - you were heading that way anyway.

This is no longer the case. Flights on many carriers (including all European carriers and some others) now can't/won't overfly Russia and so connecting via the Nordics is no longer an efficient routing. It will probably remain like that for the next 5-10 years (if not longer). It suddenly makes southern (ish) hubs like Istanbul look attractive (until you visit the IST airport and realise it's shiny edifice wears thin quickly), or even the gulf states.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
On 1 September 2024, SAS joins
@skyteam
! With this, SAS travelers get access to 750+ airport lounges, SkyPriority services and much more. EuroBonus Silver will be recognized as SkyTeam Elite; Gold/Diamond as SkyTeam Elite Plus.

SAS will officially join Skyteam on 1st September, after leaving Star Alliance the day prior.
Skyteam for their part said:
Today marks an exciting milestone as SkyTeam and SAS have officially signed an Alliance Adherence Agreement (AAA), serving as an important step toward SAS’ official entry into the global airline alliance. SkyTeam and SAS are committed to ensuring a seamless transition for all customers. From 1 September 2024, SAS will officially become a part of SkyTeam, enriching the alliance with the best access to Scandinavian key hubs. This collaboration will bolster SkyTeam's global network, offering new destinations, enhanced connectivity, and a more seamless, elevated customer journey for all travellers.

From the moment SAS joins SkyTeam, EuroBonus members will enjoy benefits across most SkyTeam airlines. EuroBonus Silver members will be recognized as SkyTeam Elite level, while Gold and Diamond members will be recognized as Elite Plus. This will offer them access to a network of 750+ airport lounges and SkyPriority services at eight airport touchpoints including priority check-in, boarding and baggage handling.

SAS customers will benefit from easy connectivity across SkyTeam’s network of 1,060+ destinations, which includes their favourites as well as previously unserved cities - particularly across Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. SkyTeam and SAS share the vision of providing a valued customer experience through quality products, innovation, and dedicated service.