• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scania OmniDekka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
This is just out of pure curiosity, having seen a few of these around, but none recently, and because i quite like them in the Lothian colours :p
But does anyone know how many Scania OmniDekkas Lothian Buses have, if any now?
And if so, what are they used on?

2128813606_e860ff1ce4.jpg

Edit: 200th post :lol:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Lothian use Omnidekkas on the Airlink100 service, not sure how many they have in the fleet though. No.999 that was in the fleet as a demonstrator was never owned by the company and is now in open top form somewhere in England.

Established Member
Ah, that would explain it.
I hadn't thought about the Airlink buses. Although, having just had a look, the Airlink service uses Omnicity buses (which i think are slightly different).
But I think it may be the case that there aren't any Omnidekkas in the fleet.

I'm wondering whether it was 999 that i saw a couple of times then.

driver9000

Established Member
I thought the OmniCity was the saloon version of the Scania Omni range, the Double Deck being OmniDekka. Lothian do have a Scania articulated saloon that they use on the X48 park & ride.

westcoaster

Established Member
saw one of these for sale the other day and could not believe the price of a bus it was £105,000 second hand and four years old, ill try and find the link.

http://www.busbiz-online.co.uk/render.php?site=1&Ref=353&pageid=1&sel=
just some dd's for sale

the other week i saw an artical in the sun newspaper and it had the list price of a brand new enviro 400 and that was a stagering £180,000, now is it worth that much or is it because of the income of the bus, that the makers are taking a chunk of the potential profit.

www.southdownpsv.co.uk also have a new and used bus sales section, i still dont get the high sale price

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Thats about the average price for a base model brand new bus. I remember a few years ago Lothian bought new Tridents for the 37/37A and spent over £2m for about 12 buses.

Tom B

Established Member
Lothian sold the old 999 somewhere - I think when there it was used on Penicuiks.
They currently use Omnicities as said on Airlinks. Very rarely seen elsewhere although have been on 42s and 45s before.

The bendy bus is used on X48s, but it is on a rush bus block (like the double deckers) and so only comes out at peak times.

driver9000

Established Member
Yes, 999 was used exclusivly on the 37/37A Penicuik-Silverknowes service. I dont know of it ever straying. I dont think Lothian ever owned it, I thought it was a demonstrator for Scania it was decked out in Lothian interior in the hope it would bring about an order for more. When Lothian were finished with it 999 went back to Scania and was sold off to a tour company.

Established Member
They currently use Omnicities as said on Airlinks. Very rarely seen elsewhere although have been on 42s and 45s before.

I remember being a little surprised a few years ago when i saw an Airlink bus on the 23, also once saw a single decker on it, but never since.

BJMorley

I thought the OmniCity was the saloon version of the Scania Omni range, the Double Deck being OmniDekka. Lothian do have a Scania articulated saloon that they use on the X48 park & ride.

The Scania isn't a Saloon, it's a Single Decker. The OmniLink is a Midibus, & the OmniTown is a Minibus.

Tom B

Established Member
I remember being a little surprised a few years ago when i saw an Airlink bus on the 23, also once saw a single decker on it, but never since.

Now that is very strange! Airlinks run from Marine garage, whereas 23s are from Longstone. Perhaps a changeover had to be done quickly in the city centre where an Airlink is kept spare for 'hitbus' work.

Established Member
Now that is very strange! Airlinks run from Marine garage, whereas 23s are from Longstone. Perhaps a changeover had to be done quickly in the city centre where an Airlink is kept spare for 'hitbus' work.

Must be. It was very odd, and I've never seen it happen since.

Always hoped to when i have to get the bus, though, because they're nicer buses :p
Although, it's finally new buses on the 23 now, which is nice; they don't crash over the potholes or now the speed bumps when they hit them, which is inevitable one one corner in trinity.

Although, it's quite funny, at the last stop, there are two potholes, one for each wheel, just before where the bus stops, so the bus goes through them every single time. They really should do something about them :lol:

Tom B

Established Member
Nice they may be, but I hear they are falling to bits already.

Does the terminus at Trinity still have a massive puddle every time it rains? I remember being up there a few times when it had rained, and getting off the bus into a small lake!

Established Member
Oh, the ruts at the last stop on the 23 route on Lennox Row were finally filled in last week :D

Also, in the timetable changes last week, the 17 was withdrawn :(
I'm really annoyed about that, because it screws up my tuesday afternoons when i have maths tutoring, and only have 20 mins to get up to the far side of cannonmills. I now have to get the 8, which is so unreliable <(

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Beestons of Ipswich in Suffolk have five of these, two of them are very high spec'd on normal service work, with coach spec seats, bonded glazing and lovely head rests, and there is no grey part of the bus anywhere, all the paneling is a lovely blue color instead of the usual grey colours and it's a great bus. The interior is probbably the best that I've seen on the bus.

MCR247

Established Member
NCT love OmniDekkas we've got some more coming soon...... Wahey. The newer ones dont get over 20mph. They have leather seats if the are Go2 though :)

DJ_K666

The Scania isn't a Saloon, it's a Single Decker. The OmniLink is a Midibus, & the OmniTown is a Minibus.

Omnilink? Midibus? We`ve got some 40 footers down here...

We also have 13 4 month old OmniCities, and 18 more on the way in a couple of months, plus about 80 Omnidekkas. Nice buses to drive though.

subway156

Does Scania use Volvo powerplants of Scania? I have no idea myself. Scania is not well represented here. I usually see them as dumps or long haul tractors.

mbonwick

Established Member
No. Volvo and Scania are not involved in any way. Scania did make an offer for MAN AG of Germany, but that was turned down.

Scania powerplants are quite widely used, but they don't really advertise the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.